Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off Topic: DWV Venting

Options
NYplumber
NYplumber Member Posts: 503
Hello Wallies,

Ruff plumbing DWV isn't my specialty, most likely because I never studied the way it functions. Specifically venting is where I can use some reading material.

Please advise books and/or links to useful educating content.

Thanks in advance.
:NYplumber:

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Commentary

I am also weak on the subject. I was reading a buddies book over lunch the other day. I think it was called International Plumbing Code and Commentary. There were lots of diagrams and explanations of the code. I have been meaning to pick one up.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    UPC Guides

The UPC has excellent training materials and resources. The code in NY is different, to be sure, but the basic principles and DWV requirements are very similar.

http://www.contractorresource.com/uniform-plumbing-code-illustrated-training-manual-1997.html
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Agree with Paul.

UPC has a great companion guide to their code.  It may not apply specifically to the NYC code, but it has a lot of pics and explanations.  We use it to train newbies.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Options
    These books are dated but easy

to understand.

I love looking through them from time to time. The laws of physics never change (much)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanitary-Plumbing-by-R-M-Starbuck-HC-1910-/390379790565?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item5ae472e0e5
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    venting

Remember this, if there were no traps you would not need to vent,the trick is to keep 14.7 psig on either side of the trap..this prevents it from breaking the seal....All codes are different but with the same intent...Use caution when following the code...some allow wet vents some don't...some allow vents to be located at different distances from the trap weir...The list goes on and on....Venting has always been difficult, at first to understand, but keep reading....To bad there isn't someone with Dans teaching ability to teach venting it would make it so easy    JA
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    ipc

Thanks for the ideas. I read through the drainage & venting of the ipc book, however there aren't any diagrams. The info was helpful, so again, thanks for the recommendation.
    :NYplumber:
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Not the CODE book...

but the COMPANION guide. You have to order it separately. It graphically shows the differences in correct and incorrect installations.

I've had to use it to explain to the inspectors why their enforcement was incorrect before. Pretty handy tool.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.