Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydro Air problem in the summer?

Options
t2leary
t2leary Member Posts: 1
We have hydro air heat with two zones, the main unit and one exchanger in the basement for the first floor and one in the attic for the second. We use window air conditioners, since we only have about 15-20 days of really hot weather each summer. Although we use a/c rated for the correct sq. footage of the rooms, they never seem cool. Last week, it was really humid and I water was really draining from the one in our bedroom, even though it had been on constantly for 24 hours in that small room. It also was cooler than elsewhere in the house, but not really cool. It seemed like air must be escaping/leaking somewhere. I climbed up on a step ladder and warm air was blowing from the vents in the ceiling! The thermostat fan was in the off position. I thought that we should cover the vents, but I know this can't be the only result. Where is the air generated from and how can I stop it? I know it must be a very elementary problem, but it has me completely stumped!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Boiler

Does your boiler run to make domestic hot water during the summer?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    How hot did it get in the Attic?

it may be that the safety switch for the air handler reached a higher temperature than it normally would and kicked on the fan. Just shut the power to the hydro air unit of and see if that helps. We have had some really high temperatures lately and attics can get to 140 to 150 degrees.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Hydro Air

Feel both of the hot water pipes going to/from each air handler to see if they are hot /warm.Possible ghost flow? What is the sq. ft. of the house and what is the total BTU's of the AC's? And where do you live?
This discussion has been closed.