Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney liner exhaust size?

Rick_41
Rick_41 Member Posts: 67
Want  to install a Intrepid TR-60 (900 radiation)  and as I understand it needs to have a liner installed in the chimney. Liner guys wants to know what size. I can't seem to find any recommendations on this. anyone know what should work?

Also I see conflicting recommendations on using stainless steel with gas and some that are saying heavy gauge aluminum,..any information is appreciated...

Comments

• Rick_41
    addendum

BTW this will be driven by a gas midco burner. 
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    So you are converting the

boiler to a gas power conversion burner is that correct?

Which Midco burner?

What is going to be the BTU input?

The Midco installation manual will recommend a flue gas pipe size based on which burner you are installing and what the input will be then liner sizing can be discussed.

We need to know the inside dimensions of the existing chimney,does it have a clay tile liner, how tall is the chimney (height), what will the lateral run from the boiler to the chimney be? Get that info and we can help you.

There is no problem using stainless steel liners with gas by the way.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited June 2012
    Liner

I may be out of my league here as I'm only a homeowner but last fall when I tried to have my chimney lined the company installing the liner was responsible for the size.  I had to give them the size of the appliances I was connecting to the vent and it was up to them using the manufacturer of the liner specifications to ensure it was appropriate as it was their license certifying the vent for use.

This of course lead to my cheesy chimney with a 4xsomething opening being torn down and a 6" B-vent going up.

The part I do remember very clearly is you must go by what the manufacturer of the liner states for a given hight and offset and it was based on BTU INPUT of the appliance.  Multiple appliances need something like a 30% increase and they were going to use a stainless liner.

I'm not sure if its different with a power burner (mine is atmospheric) but being I had gone through this last year I wanted to mention the experience I had.  I try to be helpful when I can.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Liners

Here, the company doing the conversion is responsible for the WHOLE job including the liner, if required. The company has to send an F940 form atesting that the whole install is according to code. Our code states that the company that connects the gas, is reponsible for the whole install.

If the liner company can't tell you what size needs to be installed. Lock the door and never let them in your house. They are dangerous! When we use outside vent/chimney contractors for the BIG jobs, we simply tell them what we will install for equipment, the BTU and THEY have to look at the lateral and vertical heights to come up with a proposal.Stay AWAY from aluminium liners as they can be damaged while being installed and if the combustion gas temperature drops to where condensation might be a concern!
  • Bio
    Bio Member Posts: 278
    Liner size

I'm a H/O and I just had my chimney done with 6" S/S liner connected to 380K btu between 2 boilers and two HW tanks and passed city inspection yesterday, make sure you get S/S tee connection at bottom, initially my liner did not pass because the tee was galvanized, hope it helps you
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited June 2012
    380K input

As I stated before I'm a homeowner, not a professional when it comes to vents in anyway.

But from what I remember 380K input sounds like its WAY too much for multiple appliances venting into a single 6 inch vent assuming it is around 30 feet high. I seem to recall a maximum of like 200K for a flexible 6 inch liner. In fact 380K input seems way too large for even a nice smooth straight B-vent.

Here are some examples of charts the manufactures of liners give out.

http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/articles-2/chimney-liner-articles/flex-liner-sizing-charts/

Notice the rating for multiple appliances is lower than a single.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    We are talking

to ourselves Rick has not been back since the 27 th.

Many who post questions here think they will get an immediate response from the elves sitting waiting for their posting if they do not they look some where else for the answer.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Wonder where they'd get that idea.

Do you think they read that line under the logo at the top of the page? :-)

Maybe we DIYers should try to answer more questions. I would, except I usually don't know what I'm talking about. But it doesn't say "accurate answers in an hour;" it just says "answers in an hour." :-)
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Rick_41
    No,..

I wasn't expecting an immediate answer...and the property in question is a bit over  100 miles away so i couldn't get some of your questions answered until I get back there WHICH I thought I could do but I just had a tenant (old guy ) die about a week ago and was found a few days ago in another unit and the ramifications of that and dealing with his family and the mountain of stuff in the apt AND which is150 miles  in the other  direction has made it difficult  to get back here. I'll try to get back with measurements and size of midco etc.

BTW I asked 2 other guys to look at it for the installation .one that was suggested here by several regular steam guys  as being an old (retired) master but works as a guide to plumbers ect  and extremely knowledgeable about steam installations.  (He however developed health problems and can't be involved right now)  Neither guy said anything about a liner being required. It was something I gathered from coming here to get installed.
This discussion has been closed.