Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Alpine boiler

Mpj
Mpj Member Posts: 109
Doing my 1st Alpine boiler (ALP080). Looking through the installation manual for the near boiler piping. I found that if I use a indirect heater (which I am) I do not need a swing check valve, but if I do not use indirect they require a swing check. Can somebody give me a reason for this? I am having a mental block on why, it's been a long week.

Thanks

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Long week

I took a look at the most recent manual on the manufactures web site www.usboiler.net/products/boilers/alpine/assets/manual.pdf

It is way better than the old manual's piping diagram which was basically wrong.

The new manual shows a "swing check" on the non-indirect drawing. I do not believe this is necessary as the the loop is isolated by the closely spaced tee's.

It shows "flow checks" (spring checks) on the indirect drawing. This should work just fine. I would also pipe "heat traps" to be sure you are not "ghosting" heat from the indirect to the heating loop in the summer.Particularly on the return side.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Mpj
    Mpj Member Posts: 109
    Alpine

Zman,

Thanks for the response. I thought the same thing with closely spaced tees, just thought there was something else.
This discussion has been closed.