Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

corrosive flue gas

15401 Member Posts: 4
will natural gas flue condensate corrode the inside of a tank type water heater,& its metal flue pipe?  will this corroded material fall onto the main burner?  will the burner become plugged to the point to cause a flame roll-out (this is a water heater that was manufactured in 2001).  how far past the tank will the flame extend?

if a water tank leg rusts off to a point causing the tank to tilt, will the main burner become dislodged from it original point in the tank>

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Why are you asking?

Do you have a problem?

Typically if all things are working correctly there is very little damage such as this to water heaters.

Now having said that with poor combustion zone conditions and other factors the failure to get flue gases vented out the chimney or vent will cause the highly acidic condensate to corrode the flue, baffle and if left this way long enough the inside of the water heater flue passages. The flame roll out is probable because the rust and junk that has fallen down from the center flue is blocking the gas burner. I am surprised the pilot stayed lit if that is the case. If the legs on the heater collapsed and let us say this is a 30 gallon water heater that is at least 240 pounds of water so I guess the legs could bend if poor combustion caused them to deteriorate. This could cause the burner to become dislodged but it would take an awful lot of angle to cause that to happen. I would hope the tubing connected to the burner and the gas control along with the bracket inside the water heater would keep the burner in place. But you never know!
  • Duff
    Duff Member Posts: 61
    your scaring me !!!

Time for a Water Heater....There are a lot of contractors working very competitively. You may even call your gas company and see if they have any energy programs for a discount.All your descriptions of the water heater add up to a dangerous condition. Don't wait.Estimates are FREE
    corrosive flue gas

thanks for your opinion,  would you happen to know what the PH level is for flue gas?

I'm using this information for a report so please be as factual as possible.  this is not for school work.  I'm trying to prove a point that this corrosive condensate is a fact & that the owners manual concerning regular maintenance is a must do to prevent future fires & other problems.  I now know why manufactures removed the legs & they are all flat bottom

would you have a suggestion or a link to find out more & how long it would take for this acid to cause a build up of (rusted) material.  the water heater is a 40 gal. 40K BTU which is vented via a single wall flue to a 'B' vent extended through a flat roof.  the heater is only used for two wash rooms in a factory, so not a lot of use. I'm guessing a tank that is used in a household getting regular use keeps the condensate from accumulating

thanks again
    edited June 2012
    corrosive flue gas

I would say the rusted leg was caused by a leak, again poor maintenance & lack of care by the owner
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Wait a minute:

Wait a minute. I've been plumbing and heating for almost 50 years. The only gas water heaters I have ever seen with legs were commercial heaters.

You said the heater is in a washroom. What is stored in the washroom? If there are bleach type chemicals stored or used in the room, it will rot out the water heater, tank and flue ways. If you look at the manufacturers installation instructions, you will find that there are prohibited locations. Washrooms may be included.

Be careful about getting too far into making judgement's on this situation. If you don't have a full understanding of where corrosion can come from, you could look foolish when the suits take you on. I have a customer with a water heater in their kitchen that was installed in 1975. There isn't a sign of corrosion.

The only time I see serious corrosion on gas appliances that are not designed as condensing equipment are ones close to the ocean where there are high chlorides and sodium in the atmospheric air.

I would suggest that you look carefully at what is stored in the washrooms or where the water heater is installed and what is stored there.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    huh? Water Heaters w/legs

None of the new ones have legs, but plenty of the 15 year old plus heaters have legs. I know, because they don't ride nicely on your dolly, but the legs are good handles to slide them around when laid down. Just sayin.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    15401 is this for

a law suit?

For more information on water heaters go to the water heater section and Larry Weingarten I am sure will be able to help you there.
    corrosive flue gas

icesailor,  perhaps I didn't clarify or you mis-read my comment.  the heater was used for two wash rooms not in them.  it was installed on a mesine(loft) above the wash room, & no where near the ocean.

thanks for the advice about needing to find all the facts concerning this.  this is why I'm asking the questions, to find facts.  if you or someone else knows the PH level of natural gas flue gases & how fast they corrode metal that would be very helpful. or a web  site for such information.

thanks
This discussion has been closed.