Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water baseboard heat

Options
KCC
KCC Member Posts: 3
I have two rooms in my basement I want to run hot water baseboard heat too.The room is 22'x23' with 18' high walls which turns into mt trophy on the main living space. I do have 2 ceiling fans to help circulate the air. The other room is a rec room in the basement  which is 24'x22'x8'high. I was wondering if anyone new how many lin.ft of baseboard heat I should run in each room?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Need more info.

Any windows? Size? Double or single glazed?

Length of exposed wall(s)?

"18' high walls which turns into mt trophy" What does this mean?  You have 18' ceilings? What is mt trophy?

Is the floor concrete? If so, any insulation underneath?

Are the walls below grade?  If anything is above grade, what is the wall construction? 2x4, 2x6?  Any insualtion?

City and state where you live?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Heat Loss Calc

You have to do a heat loss calculation. Once you have that you need to look up the output of the baseboards you intend to install at the water temp you intend to use.

Taco has free heat loss software on their website. The "Flow Pro University" section will even show you how to use it.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KCC
    Options
    KCC Hot water baseboard

Alan

Thank you for getting back to me. All walls are exposed, the 18' high walls is my trophy room. It starts from my basement and goes to the main living area. Thats how I got the 18' high walls. There is no insulation in the the floor that I know of, and the floor will have carpet for the finish flooring. Everything is above grade. The first 8' is concrete with a 2x4 wall framed with R-13 insulation and sheetrock for the full 18' wall. (The other 10' is basic framing on top of the foundation) I have 3 windows that are 30"x45" and they are double pained Anderson. I live in is Pen Argyl, PA 18072.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Heated Space:

That is a very difficult space to properly heat and requires a experienced and innovative designer to design it.  A designer and installer who has had experience with a similar space not working properly and figuring a way out of it. Like fan convectors to move the air around. Hot air rises. Cold air falls.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Heat Loss

There is still more information needed for a proper calculation, i.e. ceiling construction and insulation, how many windows in each room, any cold walls, etc.), but I have put pen to paper and your Trophy room would require 23,500 BTU's to keep the temperature at 68F on the coldest average day (-2F) and the Rec. room would need 15,000 BTU's.

I figure 500 BTU's output per foot of baseboard (BB) at 180F water temperature, so you would need 47' and 30' respectively.  The ceiling fans will be a necessity in the Trophy room.

There are many things to consider before the design is complete such as what kind of boiler you currently have, choice of heat emitters (BB, radiators, fan convectors, etc.), location of emitters, zoning, room orientation, etc. and as icesailor said, you should get the help of an experienced designer and installer in your area.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • KCC
    Options
    KCC

Alan and Ice sailor

Thank you both for your advise. I am going to just run the best baseboards that I could find, along all of my wall space. Which is alittle more than what is needed than Alan's calculations. That's the best I think I could do, if its overkill then its overkill but don't think it will be. Do either one of you have a recommendations on a brand and model?  

Thanks again

Kevin
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    fans

I do not think ceiling fans are good idea. By forcing hot air down you disrupt convection and will not able to heat the space. You need colder air to go down and hot air to go up by itself.
This discussion has been closed.