Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflo System Compatible Radiators

Options
PhilD
PhilD Member Posts: 1
Looking to replace my existing 1940's vintage Trane Convector Radiators with something less visible. Looking for radiator or baseboard alternatives that would be compatible with a Monoflo System. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Why not use conventional baseboard

Nothing says you can't use regular SlantFin File Line 30 for example or any other garden variety hydronic baseboard. Your local Home Depot or Lowes stock the stuff you need, in you don't want to go to a specialty plumbing supply place. Interestingly online prices for baseboard are somewhat on par with the Depot prices so you might just want to go to your local HD.
  • russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Why not use conventional baseboard

Nothing says you can't use regular SlantFin File Line 30 for example or any other garden variety hydronic baseboard. Your local Home Depot or Lowes stock the stuff you need, in you don't want to go to a specialty plumbing supply place. Interestingly online prices for baseboard are somewhat on par with the Depot prices so you might just want to go to your local HD.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I would say

you have the best that money can buy, and you can run lower temps and be comfy. Copper fin baseboard is a last resort. It may be common and inexpensive, but in your case you would need a high output and a much longer run to make up for the loss of the radiator. That is an old house, and may not be that tight. I would have a pro check it out, and offer some alternatives. 
  • Al_19
    Al_19 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Baseboard runs

don't work well in monoflow systems. The pressure drop through a baseboard run usually exceeds the pressure drop across the monoflow fitting, so you get no flow through the baseboard. You'll live on the job trying to make it work.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Tricky

Changing the head loss of emitters in a mono flow system can be tricky. Can you see the tees or are the hidden? what  type of tee do you have? Are they located on the supply and return? How far apart are they? What is you building's heat loss? If you are able to provide a drawing of your system you should be able to get some solid advice here.

You safest bet is to use another low head loss modern panel radiator.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Skee
    Skee Member Posts: 2
    Options
    monoflow/condensing boiler

Al. got a monoflow system 1-1/4" copper loop feeding 2 stories. Old house. Removed old sunny day crane boiler for wall hung combi viessmann 100. piped in a 3/4 header using zone valves. There r 3 zones. 2 are not mono flow. got circulator on supply side after low loss header. rads on mono flow not heating up BUT return line is hot. checked making sure return is piped to return on mono flow. old mono flow circa i removed was an 1-1/4" circulator on return side. system is purged. hot water coming out. no air. just not heating to customers satisfaction like old boiler did. viessmann boiler temp is 170.

what more can I do? Was thinking of moving circ to return side, or changing out zone vales for circs and increasing pipe on mono flow system to 1" instead of 3/4. Any suggestions?

Skee
  • Skee
    Skee Member Posts: 2
    Options
    monoflow/condensing boiler

Al. got a monoflow system 1-1/4" copper loop feeding 2 stories. Old house. Removed old sunny day crane boiler for wall hung combi viessmann 100. piped in a 3/4 header using zone valves. There r 3 zones. 2 are not mono flow. got circulator on supply side after low loss header. rads on mono flow not heating up BUT return line is hot. checked making sure return is piped to return on mono flow. old mono flow circa i removed was an 1-1/4" circulator on return side. system is purged. hot water coming out. no air. just not heating to customers satisfaction like old boiler did. viessmann boiler temp is 170.

what more can I do? Was thinking of moving circ to return side, or changing out zone vales for circs and increasing pipe on mono flow system to 1" instead of 3/4. Any suggestions?

Skee
This discussion has been closed.