Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler piping down from Attic

pipe4zen
pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
I have a project where we are moving the new mechanicals from basement up to attic, because of yearly basement flooding by a few feet of water, even with sump pump.

There will be a fully insulated room built in the attic. Two apartments below, and a store front on first floor.

I will be downfeeding drops to a manifold to feed baseboard zones.

Other than having vents on my risers and being mindful of the pressure at the base of the drop/risers is there anything else i should be thinking of.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Attic Mechanicals:

A Safe Pan comes to mind.

But I have to ask, wouldn't it be easier to build a 16" high base in the cellar and set the equipment in it? That's what I have done.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Floor Drains and pans

yes, we'll install pans and drains. Most likely automatic safety shutoff valves to feeds. Perhaps a glycol pig.

I said the the same thing, but the water level combined with frequent power outages have the owners concerned, plus height of basement of 6ft will limit how much we can raise equipment.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    LWCO

Don't forget low water cut off. Any loss of water will run the boiler dry
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Noise issues...

can be a REAL problem for the apartments below. Pick your location carefully, taking into consideration sleeping areas. When the heat source was in the basement, it probably didn't make any noise that could be heard in the sleeping areas. You may change that, and it could come back to bite you.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,801
    pipe sizing

to maintain 4 feet per second.  If the flow slows to about 2 fps it will not move the air along with it and could cause flow or noise problems, especially in the vertical piping.  We see this in solar applications from time to time also.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.