Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In ceiling electric radiant heat and lights

Options
Dan_J
Dan_J Member Posts: 2
We just purchased a home that was built in 1978. 

And are looking to install a ceiling fan and some in ceiling light fixtures into room that have electric in ceiling radiant heat. 

The primary heating source in the house is natural gas baseboard. We intend to use this system and only use the electric as a back up.

My concerns

Is the heating element a mat or wires

Is there any issue with putting an electrical box in the ceiling with this type of system.

System information

Electric radiant in ceiling - unk make or model

Thermostats - Martin comfort zone line voltage

Thanks in advance for the help,

Dan J.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Geez Dan....

If you can't find out, what kind of radiant is in your ceiling, how do you expect anyone to help?

There's no way to contact previous owners to find out who installed it?  Maybe a permit was pulled and you can find the contractor.

Other then that, when you say use it as a back up, do you mean only when there's a problem with the gas, or do you need it on the coldest day of the year?

The only other options, and others I'm sure may have a better solutions, get an infrared camera, fire up the radiant, and mark on the ceiling where the wires are running.  If your lucky and it works, you'll see some initial striping.

Anyone? Anyone else?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Electric Ceiling

The ceiling panels usually were made with the cabling at 4-6" centers. Drilling to install a ceiling fan will likely hit a wire. I'd recommend an IR camera to locate the wires before drilling.
  • Dan_J
    Dan_J Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping someone knew how the systems were designed back around the time when it was installed. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out any further information on the manufacture of the system.

I did see another post on the site. They recommended to put a coat of paint on the ceiling and turn the heat on high.  This should  show the lines in the where the heating wires run. 

Thanks again for the help.

Dan J.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    Options
    I think

paul's idea of an IR camera would be a lot easier.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    On Top

The ones I have worked with were imbedded in 12" strips of drywall that actually sat on top of the finished drywall. They were in a home built in 1980 and were made by a Canadian company that is still in business. I would try to find a spot where you can look at them. Is there an attic or a light you could remove to have a look.

The job I did was scary. There had been leaks over the years and much of the heat panels had turned to kitty litter. The t-stats only switched one leg of the 240 so the bare heat wires were always hot.

Personally I would disconnect them.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Plaster or drywall

Dan,

When I worked with my Dad who did plastering we did some radiant ceilings. There were quite a few done in the '70s in our area (nothern Ohio) during the energy crises when no new gas, LP or oil systems were being installed.  The wires were stapled to the plasterboard and then embedded in the first coat of plaster.  It was an art to not nick a wire with the trowel.  Not too much plastering done anymore on the residential side.  There were some pre-wired drywall panels also.   Depending on the heat loss, interior rooms, exterior walls, room size etc, dictated the wire pattern.  Some were closer maybe 3"-4" along outside walls, farther apart near the center.  Sometimes there was more than one loop in a large room, just like they do radiant in a floor.  There are all kinds of layouts.   Where they knew there were going to be cupboards, dining romm, kitchen or bedroom lights they gave some open space.  The IR camera may be your best route.  Unless they left some gaps or have wide spacing where you want your fixtures you may have to do a surface mount.  I don't know the issue of mounting something over a wire.  I know that at certain times we could see some streaking, but I think that was more a function of the paint or final finish.  Good luck.   Mike
This discussion has been closed.