Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

indirect vs. tank w/ new gas boiler upgrade

DrewB
DrewB Member Posts: 2
First post here and I could use your guys' help. I am in the process of getting quotes for an oil to gas conversion on a single pipe steam system w/ indirect hot water currently. I am in the Boston area so I am planning on getting the Burnham unit (PIN5SNI-ME2) that National Grid is currently offering. We have had 4 reputable quotes provided so far with the major difference being recommendations between a traditional gas hot water heater and an indirect tank and loop added off the boiler. I have read some articles on here explaining how to install the indirect system correctly but I have not been able to find any that compare it to a tanked water heater. My question is rather simple... which one do you guys recommend? Concerns are efficiency, running the boiler in the summer, initial cost, life of unit, and available supply of hot water. Currently there are 3 showers taken a day and we plan on staying in the house for at least 15 years. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Go with the seperate

water heater since you have a steam system it is the better way to go in my opinion.

How old is the existing oil boiler?
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    second

the recommendation for a separate water heater.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • DrewB
    DrewB Member Posts: 2
    boiler age

the existing boiler is 30+ years old, does that affect my decision?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    No if the boiler is that

old replacement is best. I would not recommend however an gas atmospheric steam boiler. A better choice would be an oil designed boiler with a gas conversion burner installed in the boiler and set the oil burner aside just in case oil prices come down in the future and gas prices go up. The oil converted to gas will be at least 4 or 5% more efficient (that is a conservative estimate by the way it could be more) than the atmospheric gas design boiler. I would still go with the separate water heater either way.
This discussion has been closed.