Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

powering Nest stat w separate transformer?

Options
norfitz
norfitz Member Posts: 54
I would like to power a Nest thermostat with a separate 24V transformer so as to not freak out a Triangle Tube boiler's microprocessor, but the Nest site and techs don't seem to speak HVAC. Anyone successfully wired this? It's a simple 1-zone heating system, but again, I don't want to fry the Triangle Tube's fuse or worse, brain.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Be careful as the Nest

is not compatable with all systems, I am not sure about Triangle Tube hookup. I will check with the rep and get back to you.
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Do it

We install the Nests all the time. Just put in a little ice cube relay but give the nest a common. They work well with radiant. I was worried about this when we first started using them but I had a long talk with their tech people and the short story is the Nest builds performance based logic. So If you have high mass radiant it learns how to run it with long cycle times.

They are really a great stat. I just hope the quality is their time will tell.
  • norfitz
    norfitz Member Posts: 54
    Options
    well...

Thanks, Big Will, I'm laughing. The Nest techs were vague too. I'm not giving up yet on finding out if there's an isolated end switch.
This discussion has been closed.