Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning baseboard elements

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
i have a customer who has lung trouble and needs to have baseboard hw heating elements cleaned of dust in fins on elements. vacuming didnt cut it. does anybody know how to wash or clean thoughrouly or is replacing element only solution.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    If you find a way to do it...

let me know!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Alan_13
    Alan_13 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    handheld blower

I've used a 120 v handheld blower that is normally used for motorcycle maint, Very powerfull blast of air, creates lots of dust though. Keep customer out of the house while you work.
  • LarryC
    LarryC Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Do not know if this would work.

I do not know if this would work. 

How about removing the covers and using a tank garden spayer with a soapy water mixture to mist spray down the fins, followed by a clear water rinse?  Obviously towels would be required to collect the runoff, and care is required to not excessively wash down the wall and floor.  Minimal airborne particles and with plenty of towels, no puddles.

What is the dust from?  Smoking, soot, animal fur, house fire, cooking fumes. or other. 

409 Cleaner is great for cutting oily  or greasy dirt.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    BASEBOARD

Remove elements, blow out & clean, re-connect w/ unions & control valves.  perfect job or do not waste your time.
  • mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Options
    wetvac

possibly put the head of a wet vac if the angel is ok and run it as you spray
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    Options
    dust

its dust mostly, inbetween fins. maybe soap and water might clean it eneogh.it really is not bad. very little dirt. i have seen alot worse and vacuming fins would be sufficient. this customer has some lung disease and says she has trouble when heat is circulating thru room. i was just trying to save cost of replacing element. thx for inputs
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    BASEBOARD

Do not make his problem become your problem. remove , clean properly& re-install. if you are qualified to do the job. submit invoice & move on to next job. be a professional at all times . if you try to be mr. nice guy & do favors that are not feasible , they will come back & bite you in the tush. do the right job & they will respect you. do a half a job for free & they will curse you & call some one else.  nyc lic. plbr not a do it yourselfer .
This discussion has been closed.