Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concerned Customer

Mike1956 Member Posts: 2
I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan, My spouse and I hired a contractor in Alabama to replace my roof and do inside remodeling. He kept asking me for labor money upfront to pay his crew, and me being so nieve kept giving him money, up to $9000.00. Sometimes I would give him money to buy the materials and he would keep it and tell me he used it for labor. He has not completed any of the interior work and  I've recently found out that the roof has rotten wood underneath and is leaking, He refuses to refund the money, does not answer the phone nor respond to my emails. I'm gonna have to hire someone else to fix his mess. He also told me that the kitchen cabinets from Lowe were $5,272.00, we gave him a check made out to Lowe, after inqruiring with Lowe, the cabinets only cost $3,900.00. What can I do?





  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    What Can You Do?:

    What can you do? Probably not much. The military used to have legal aid for soldiers in situations like this. It may have been cut back or eliminated as a cost cutting measure back in the mid 2000's. Like a lot of medical care.

    I want to know though, how Lowes cashed a third party check, made out to them, for an amount greater than the invoice, and gave the third party the cash or credit. I'd be asking Lowes about that. Seems like they owe you a credit or something. Unless you gave tacit authorization.

    Another criminal calling himself a "contractor" who gives us real contractors a bad name.

    Good Luck.
  • Wayne Heid
    Wayne Heid Member Posts: 49
    Alabama Attorney General Consumer Protection

    For starters, I'd contact the Alabama Attorney Gereral's office. They have a consumer hot line and you can file a complaint on-line.


    It would probably be very helpful to put together an detailed written timeline of relative dates, paperwork signed and checks written.

    If all else fails, I'm sure the local TV news would be all over this.

    Good luck and thank you for your service.

  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 18,924
    There should be a special place...

    for "contractors" like that.  Perhaps there is; I can hope so.

    Both Wayne and Ice have good advice -- although if the perp wasn't licensed, there may be little that the authorities can do.  You should also talk to your own CO at some point -- although the backup on the home front has gotten weaker as it gets more PC, most of the guys and gals I've known on the ground haven't, and it's amazing what an irate MSgt. or Colonel can do...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

    All the above info sounds like a good place to start. But concerning Lowe's, I can't imagine they gave him money back. He probably bought that much extra stuff and used it on another job.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Contact JAG

    Contact the JAG at your post if posible for advice.  Generally they can give you advice or a course of action.  They probably cannot act in your behalf since it most likely falls into the Civil action side of the arena.  I spent over 36 years in the Army, and I've seen this. You are trying to take care of your family from thousands of miles away.  The other posters are right on.  Contact the State's Attorney, local Better Buisness Bureau, local law enforcement is fraud involved, local news.  Public support for anything related to war is waning, except for those of us who have had a stake in it.  Keep the faith, be safe and don't let this go.  
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,839
    What this guy really needs....

    Mike, Let me also thank you for your service to our country. What you need is a qualified set of eyes and ears in the home front. Unfortunately, I am a long ways away from Alabama, otherwise I'd take the challenge, at no charge. The least I can do for a warrior.

    Maybe some Wallies here know of someone willing to step up to the pump, and take charge in your stead. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone that's even close to Alabama, or I''d be getting in touch with them. Maybe we can get someone from ACCA or the like to help out. I know there's not much heating demand down there, but there has to be a local cooling contractor who could step in and keep an eye and ear on the situation for you.

    With as many people who know so many people, it should be a snap.

    Wallies? Suggestions?

    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,460
    I agree, I wish I was not 1000s of miles away

    I can't think of anyone either in that area. That is totally disheartening. Thanks for your service!  Tim
  • Mike1956
    Mike1956 Member Posts: 2
    Concerned Customer

    I spoke to a lawyer in my hometown and he's willing to help me Pro bono. I really do appreciate everyone who has responded to my situation. People like you is the reason why I'm so proud to serve my country. Thanks and God Bless.


This discussion has been closed.