Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

brazing alternitive

has anybody used this new red goop for ac lines connections. i forget the name something like super pro. you apply it and let it harden then can evacuate and charge ac. it can handle high pressures too. i am drawing blanks on the exact name.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    I have

seen either this product, or something similar. I have not used it, and am very skeptical.

Some kind of copper glue.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Can't remember the name

I can't remember the name either, but here was my experience with it.

I was given a sample of the product at at trade show and brought it back to my students to "play with". We decided to do our own field testing...

They created joints on a small piping project using the product (which was not as easy as described by the rep, but that's another story) and then tested the fitting and all held quite well.

As you are all well aware, air conditioning and refrigeration piping is subject to vibration, so the students used the product on a live system. Well, this product and vibration do not play very well together. The joint cracked and leaked.

I sent an e-mail to the company, based in College Point, New York, and posted our results here on The Wall. I invited the owner of the company to respond to our results, as maybe we were doing something wrong. We never heard back from the company.

I am not a fan of cutting corners or taking shortcuts so, personally, I would not use it on equipment that I am getting paid to install, service and warrantee.
    Eugene
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    how about

how about brazing or using staybrite #8 on ac 410a systems. is silver soddering with softsodder allowed?
  • Paul_69
    Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
    how about

how about brazing or using staybrite #8 on ac 410a systems. is silver soddering with softsodder allowed?
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    It Depends

You need to check the local codes in your area. Some jurisdictions do not allow filler materials with low melting temperatures (below 842 degrees) to be used on air conditioning equipment. For example, it is frowned upon in New York City.

Word on the street says that, in the event of a fire, the potential for firefighter injuries can result if excessive heat from a fire causes low temperature joints to rupture.

I personally do not recommend the use of low temperature filler materials on refrigerant lines, even on the low pressure side.
    Eugene
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Blockade

Anyone have any experience using this silver free alloy from Harris?

I have tried it and it seems to flow well and so far hasn't leaked or cracked.

Sure is a lot cheaper than sil-phos.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Absolutely Amazing

I love it and recommend it to everyone. The burst pressure on these joints is super high and you can see immediately if there is a leak. It's self-sealing and can be used directly over soft-solder without having to re-clean and re-prep!
    Eugene
This discussion has been closed.