Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen Drain Waste Heat Recovery

Options
cgw
cgw Member Posts: 42
An architect wants to use waste heat from a commercial kitchen drain to heat fluid for a small sidewalk snow melt system. It sounds like a bad idea but I feel like I have heard of it before.

Even taking the drainage directly from a dishwasher - I would think grease would be a problem.

Any one heard of the application?

Comments

• bld999
    bld999 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Architect

I have heard of this for residential showers, and if the household takes mostly showers, it can contribute over the long haul. Snowmelt sounds like a recipe for trouble and hi maintenance, with the eventual abandonment of the system and the money it cost to build. [jmho]
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    What kind of exchanger

What type of exchanger is he proposing? I wonder if the exchange could happen after an oil separator. The owner definitely needs to be by on board with the maintenance.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bld999
    Options
    Here's a link .

http://www.gfxtechnology.com/

I think the equipment needs to be in  vertical piping to work correctly.

A bathing shower is a use which makes sense, the pre-heat occurs each time the shower is running. For snowmelt, you would need backup, as the comml. sink use would not necessarily happen when snowmelt was needed. Pumps, valves, sensors, etc all to salvage a little waste heat?
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Drain waste heat recovery

Is anyone using this and dose it work on a shower? Why must it be in a vertical position?
  • bld999
    Options
    Energy-efficient homes

It's popular in energy-efficient homes. It is basically a copper coil [surrounding the waste pipe] that feeds the street water to the hwt. It's sold as a piece and plumbed in. As the fixture runs, heat is recovered from the wastewater. I think the preference for vertical orientation is to maximize the transfer area.

Not a bad idea, depending on the cost. 
  • Zman
    Options
    Good for DHW

I think this is a good idea for DHW. As the cold water is pulled into the house it is pre-heated by the waste water leaving the house. There is no need for storage as the 2 events will nearly always happen at the same time.

Snow melt is another issue. There might be enough energy to "idle" the slab some of the time. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to melt snow. How would it be controlled? Maybe they could wait to wash the dishes until it snows? I think this system is best for DHW
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Options
    Good for DHW

I think this is a good idea for DHW. As the cold water is pulled into the house it is pre-heated by the waste water leaving the house. There is no need for storage as the 2 events will nearly always happen at the same time.

Snow melt is another issue. There might be enough energy to "idle" the slab some of the time. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to melt snow. How would it be controlled? Maybe they could wait to wash the dishes until it snows? I think this system is best for DHW
    Albert Einstein
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    I have a GFX...

... in my shower drain and know it does some good.  In this case after taking care of grease, I wonder about timing.  You're trying to use waste heat from dishwashing, presumably to clear snow from a sidewalk for your patrons?  So, they had to walk through snow to come get fed to make dirty dishes to be washed to clear the sidewalk.  Perhaps two systems are needed, one to initially clear the walk and dishwashing to keep it cleared.  Might be easier/cheaper to put the heat back into DHW.  I'm making too many assumptions!

Yours,  Larry
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    $ Recovery:

Another classic example of stepping over a ten dollar ($10.00) bill to pick up a dime ($.10).

Except, in this case, there will be so much money spent for so little return on investment, it becomes a joke.

Only an architect could come up with something like this.
  • icesailor
    Options
    $ Recovery:

Another classic example of stepping over a ten dollar ($10.00) bill to pick up a dime ($.10).

Except, in this case, there will be so much money spent for so little return on investment, it becomes a joke.

• icesailor
    Options
    $ Recovery:

• icesailor
    Options
    $ Recovery:

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    vertical

The vertical orientation is needed to make the system transfer the heat properly. In a sloped pipe, all of the drain water flows along the bottom so you only get to transfer heat through the wall to the incoming water in a small portion of the pipe surface area. In a vertical orientation, the drain water flow spreads out to cover all (or most) of the wall - it doesn't just drop right through the middle, water prefers to adhere to a surface. This maximizes the heat exchange area between fluid flows.
  • cgw
    Options
    heat recovery?

The way I would do it is a normal snow melt with some sort of heat exchanger on the return to pick up any heat available (which would not be much). I have not looked at a snow melt in a long time so I don't remember what a normal temperature is. The only water in a kitchen that might be warm enough is the dishwasher drain. After the grease trap would probably be too cooled off.

Domestic water would work alot better as it is a lot colder (though I have my doubts).
  • cgw
    Options
    heat recovery?

The way I would do it is a normal snow melt with some sort of heat exchanger on the return to pick up any heat available (which would not be much). I have not looked at a snow melt in a long time so I don't remember what a normal temperature is. The only water in a kitchen that might be warm enough is the dishwasher drain. After the grease trap would probably be too cooled off.

Domestic water would work alot better as it is a lot colder (though I have my doubts).
  • Zman
    Options
    Sounds Like

It sounds like the architect is trying to justify having a snow melt system be saying it is powered by waste water. This does make him sound very clever, The amount of energy that will ever melt snow is a small fraction of the energy this system could put into the DHW. The DHW system is as simple as it gets, the snowmelt couldn't be more complex. I think the circulators and controls will produce more energy for heat than will the waste water.
    Albert Einstein
  • bld999
    Options
    Points Game

As green building scoring systems gain ground, some owners and architects choose building systems with the goal of a big total that they can brag about, get grants for, or in the case of architecture firms, use in marketing materials. I don't mean to suggest that is going on in this case, but there is some natural pressure to do it. Not every generous- pointed system is appropriate for all buildings.

The good spinoff is that people are asked to think about how to save energy. They don't always make the decisions for the right reasons.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Simultaneous demand and load...

are a MUST in order for the GFX to work as designed. I've tested it under three different situations, and have found it to be roughly 50% effective in heat recovery. Not bad considering, but, the load must be occurring at the same time as demand is occurring, or its efficiency drops like a rock.

As for snowmelt, as others have said, it MIGHT throw some normally wasted BTU's at the side walk to keep it in a near idle condition, but it would never have the ability to put out enough heat to completely clear the sidewalk of snow under most conditions. But, if they are looking for points, and they have the proper space to allow a true vertical installation, they would cut the energy consumption of the dishwasher by 50%.

Personally I think that ALL waste recovery potentials should be utilized BEFORE alternative energy systems or even aux. energy systems are deployed. It only makes sense. This includes refrigerant waste heat recovery, which does require some storage, but is definitely worth the cost of participation.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    how often does it snow

compared to how often they use DHW? It seems the DHW load would be a better use. If the dishwasher is dumping hot water down the tube, hot DHW must be going in the other end! Perpetual motion?

Refrigeration waste heat should also go into the DHW or heating loads.

I too would give the artichoke credit for thinking outside the box, energy is a terrible thing to waste.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.