Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Suspend riser

Options
malex
malex Member Posts: 106
At the end of a 30' main run where it makes a 45 there is a run out to a 2nd floor rad. Due to the house settling etc the 90 elbow from the run out to the riser is dug into the sill with the weight of a 2 floors of 1 1/4 black pipe. Because the run out is esentially a continuation of the main it is seeing all of the expansion from the main and therefore rubbing against the sill as the main expands lengthwise (at least this is my conclusion) and making some not so pleasent noises. Sliding a piece of milk jug under the elbow did not help (sorry Jamie) but standing a 2x4 under the runout just so the elbow is lifed of the sill did work.

I don't want 2x4s standing in my basement so what are the options. Is there any type of clamp to put on the sill that would suspend the elbow just enough so that it can move freely? A hanger seems tough to position in the joist bay as you need it close to the sill so that you don't but a bow in the run out.

Any suggestions?   

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Somehow I'm not surprised...

that the milk jug trick didn't work in that situation.  And I'm also not surprised that you don't really want a forest of 2x4s in the basement!

Depending on how your joists run.  Can you insert a carrying sub joist, either between two joists or between the sill and the next joist out, so you can hang a regular hangar from it just inboard from the sill, and pick up the load of the riser on that?  Used to be such a thing would be a bit tricky, but with the newer joist hangars available, it might be possible to get enough room to swing a hammer and get it in place.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.