Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

use 1/2" or 3/4" for new branch lines?

Options
heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
I have a hot water heating only system. I am adding a room to it. The existing 2-pipe system has a 1" main line and 1/2" branch lines with BaseRay CI baseboards.

I have bought few WeilMcLain CI baseboards and want to add them into the existing system. The boiler and supply circulator are ready for this addition.

Both BaseRay and WeilMcLain CI baseboard have 3/4" connection openings.

My question is should I use 1/2" branch pipes as the existing branches' or use 3/4" branch pipes which the baseboards are designed for (I think)?

thanks,

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Depends

How many GPM do you need for the rad(s)? A 1/2in line will flow a max of 1.5GPM at a 20* Delta T= 15k btu's; a 3/4in line will flow about 4 GPM at a 20* Delta T= 40k btu's.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • heatingFun
    Options
    mix size of branch lines?

The HeatLoss Explorer 2 told me the GPM should be 2.9 in that new addition room. So that room needs 3/4" pipe branches. That means in the same zone, there are couple of 1/2" pipe branches and couple of 3/4" pipe branches. Is this ok? The 3/4" pipe branches will not be too hot?
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    WOW

That's a huge load. My entire house only needs 3.6gpm. How big is this addition?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• heatingFun
    Options
    that is a wrong number

Sorry, that's for the entire zone, family room + living room.

The addition, family room, is 1.5 GPM.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Branch Lines:

Back in the days before automobiles, I seem to remember that we (or I was taught) to use 1/2" pipe or tube to a emitter that was 15' or less. More than 15' was connected as 3/4". I think that you will find that if you measure the baseboard heaters that the 1/2" lines go to, they will be less than 15' in length. That the 3/4 lines go to longer radiators. We didn't know what it all meant, We just followed what the salesperson drew on a paper bag that came in the box full of fittings.

If it uses "Mono-Flow" or "One Pipe Fittings", it is a "One Pipe System". If not, it is either a Two Pipe direct return or a Two Pipe Reverse Return. Either way, use caution doing anything to the piping.
  • heatingFun
    Options
    old house

My house was built in 1950s'.  They put baseboard all the way along the wall. My living room heat loss is 14030BTU/HR based on the HE2. But there are 21' + 19' + 9' = 49' CI baseboards. Two of them are longer than 15' and all them are 1/2" branch pipes. Similar in bedrooms, all baseboards are longer than 20' with 1/2" pipes.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Rules of Thumbs:

I gave that as  Rules of Thumbs.

Those loops to the baseboards may or may not be properly sized.

You were asking about why some were 3/4" and some were 1/2". That was a rough explanation as to why.
This discussion has been closed.