Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermostat

Options
I have a steam heat system with a boiler and radiators. I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of a thermostat that will keep the system running when the electricity is out? 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,326
    Options
    Back in the old days...

if you had a gas boiler with a self-generating pilot light system -- micropile, I think -- yes.  So long as the pilot was lit the little thermocouple thingy generated power which could go to the thermostat and to the gas valve.

Or... if you had coal... there were some lovely contraptions which maintained a beautiful even temperature with some bellows and chains and levers.  Worked well.

But.  Nowadays?  No, unless you have backup power.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Backup power

You could use a big computer ups to carry you over during a blackout. I have a separated circuit for the boiler, with a switch which enables me to cut in a 1600 va ups when needed.

The funny thing is that we have no longer have the blackouts we had before the ups installation! I left the wiring up to my electrician, so I am not sure how it is wired. I do know that the ground must be good to make it work on battery.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.