Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downfeeding steam radiators

Options
jjheat
jjheat Member Posts: 35
I have a new client that has several buildings with 2 pipe steam. 1 building has offices in the basement with downfeed steam convectors. The "expert' in the area told them they could downfeed radiator with no drip leg on the supply and tie the condensate into the existing wet return. I know this is wrong, but how should it be done?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    and if someone turns off the convector

valve, the riser will fill up with water....if the radiator trap fails closed, the riser fill up with water..seems to me the base of the riser should be dripped with an f&t by itself..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Perhaps a stupid question, Gerry...

but if there is a wet return and it really is wet, couldn't one just continue that riser right on down to the wet return?  Do you really need a trap there in this situation?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    absoluetly,

if there is a real wet return, no riser trap needed..sorry, that scenario escaped me..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.