Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jumpy Need on Low Pressure Gauge

Options
FJL
FJL Member Posts: 354
I have noticed that the needle jumps a lot when it is reading the pressure in the boiler, and not just at the beginning of a cycle, but seemingly throughout the cycle. Is this supposed to be what happens? If not, does the gauge need to be replaced? Or could it be something else is causing it to jump?

Recently, a new wet return pipe was installed and there is cleanser in the boiler right now. The entire system will be flushed on Saturday.

Thanks.

Comments

• MotownSteamer
    MotownSteamer Member Posts: 110
    Options
    we seem to be having the same issues

If you've seen my recent threads I rebuilt my instrument manifold, putting the controllers and gauge(s) even higher. My new 0-3 psi gauge arrives today, and I'll finish the build and let you know the results. It occurs to me (after another wallie pointed it out!) that holding vacuum is desirable in a vapor system.

You might want to pipe the gauges even higher, and if that doesn't work [we need to] consider snubbers.
  • FJL
    Options
    Snubbers

What are snubbers?
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Snubbers

Check out www.gaugestore.com for snubbers, i cannot attach the link
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Wait for water to be clean

My boiler is set to cutout at 12 oz's and back in at 4oz's. The boiler is oversized and it cycles on and off several times before the tstat is satisfied.

The 0-3psi gauge is steady as a rock as it climbs to 0.75 psi and then down to 0.25 psi. It is mounted so it's about 5-6" above the water line in the boiler - I intend to get it up another 4" come spring just to be prudent. The water is my sight glass is clean and bounces about 1/4".

Once they flush out the cleaner on your boiler that gauge glass should be clear and you should not see a lot of bouncing. If not the boiler will have to be skimmed.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    Options
    Dirty

I agree with dirty water.

The few times I had to skim my boiler after installing it even though the water line in the gauge glass wasn't moving a whole lot the boiler was shaking more than normal AND my 3PSI gauge's needle was jumping.  After skimming every time the gauge calmed down.

Not only did the needle become dead steady my overall pressure has dropped a lot since skimming.  No idea why on that one though.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Snubbers

won't cure dirty water -- but even with clean water a sensitive gauge (or vapourstat!) may well be jumpy, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong.  It's the nature of the beast.  And snubbers will help that a lot -- particularly making the vapourstat more reliable at very low pressures.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • FJL
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Snubbers

I am having a hard time finding "snubbers" on the website link above. 

**** Never mind.  I found them.  ****

I have snubbers on my instruments -- the P-trol and v-stat -- but not the gauge.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Snubbers

Please keep in mind on one of our other pressure gauge issues threads it was mentioned that common snubbers may keep water from draining back out.  It was mentioned as a speculation, nothing definite.

the WIKA 3PSI gauge does NOT like water,  I can personally attest to this.  I would also say you should have that gauge a few inches above the elbow below it to keep water further from it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.