Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Conversion Burner Training

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
I am just running a little survey concerning conversion burner installation versus boiler replacement.

1. At what point as far as age would you recommend boiler replacement instead of conversion burner?

2. What if any are your preferences as far as manufacturer for conversion burners?

3. What combustion efficiency would you expect with an oil to gas conversion with a power gas conversion burner?

4. Would you prefer factory training on conversion burner installation?

5. If any of you attended a vocational training school did they teach gas combustion?

6. Same question did they teach conversion burner installation?

7. If training is done by someone other than factory training should the instructor have any experience actually installing conversion burners or is book learning sufficient?

8. Do you even offer conversion burner installations as an option to replacement?

9. What training if any have you had on conversion burner installation?

10. If a training program was offered on conversion burners for say three days would you attend?

11. If a class on testing design gas equipment was offered for three days would you attend?

12. Is it really necessary to do a combustion test on all gas equipment?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    reply.

1. I'd be more concerned with the condition, near boiler piping/components and their comfort.  If a conversion with major piping/control surgery were in order, I would recommend a new unit.

2.  Only ever used Carlin.

3.  Don't know.  Would expect manufacturer to guide me with efficiency, and regular math--cost of oil vs. gas etc., to calculate realized savings.

4.  I'd prefer factory authorized, by someone with plenty of experience to guide me through all acceptable/non acceptable applications.

5.  Yes.....and yes..briefly.

6.  No.

7.  Same as 4.  For experienced techs/installers, they're is always plenty of conversation regarding applications and troubleshooting.  Anyone can buy/read a book.

8.  Yes, with the guidance of answer to question #1.

9.  Through PPMA, via Carlin.

10.  3 days?  If it were local, and if it involved ALOT of hands on equipment--set up, adjusting, troubleshooting, etc.

11.  Same as #10.  If by testing, you mean everyone stands around and watches, or many units are set up, and everyone gets to 'play', then yes.

12.  Of course.

Not set it up, and come to Philadelphia..........lol.   Seriously.....we need ya down here :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,626
    Options
    Any one

doing any conversion burners at all?
  • Gerry Alder
    Gerry Alder Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm very Interested but can't justify it .

Not much for me to monopolize in Utah natural gas is common and some propane out in the country . I have only seen one waste oil burner with nat. gas ignition . And have heard of another oil burner way down southern Utah. There could be more and if I get trained and would I eventually see one that needs to be converted?

• Gerry Alder
    Options

Not much for me to monopolize in Utah natural gas is common and some propane out in the country . I have only seen one waste oil burner with nat. gas ignition . And have heard of another oil burner way down southern Utah. There could be more and if I get trained and would I eventually see one that needs to be converted?

• Gerry Alder
    Options

• Gerry Alder
    Options

• Gerry Alder
    Options

• Gerry Alder
    Options
    oops sorry , I'm new at

pushing buttons here.

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    We

We put them in our own buildings but don't install them for others.

Virtually every job we bid requires a new boiler.  We also fear liability of conversions.  If we install a new burner, we've assumed responsibility for what is usually a decrepit system.  Around here, the price difference would not be enough to favor burner replacement over new boilers. Our labor rates are too high for that.

From the jobs we have seen others do, there is very little training out there, or little care given to conversions.  Most we see are operating at 30% or less efficiency with very high CO.   They are usually grossly over fired too.  
This discussion has been closed.