Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing baseboard radiator

Options
Rayzor
Rayzor Member Posts: 1
I'm remodeling our bathroom, down to the studs. Would also like to replace forced hot water baseboard (rusted and ugly) which is 4' and has fin type on copper pipe which enters from a bedroom and then continues on to another bedroom. I have been searching the Big box stores and all they seem to have is rather cheap, same style fin type baseboard radiator. 

So now have been searching the Internet for a better quality fins type or something different. I found a different style from Runtal UF series, which has a lower profile and a nice look... and a little expensive. My problem is, this type radiator requires 1/2'' pipe connection and the current baseboard has what looks to be 3/4" pipe running to/thru and from.

Question is, can this new radiator be installed using copper reducer connections and not have any problems in heating system with pipe restriction at this radiator in closed loop system?

If so what can i do to possibly use this type of baseboard, thanks.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Anyone tried this?

Has anyone done this using diverter tees on the 3/4" line and a trv on the radiator? I think califfe has a new diverter valve that will do this.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Rusty Baseboards:

If the rusty baseboard is next to the toilet, it is rusty because urine is getting on the covers.

I once found a sign over a toilet in a house that a woman had put up over the toilet. "If you sprinkle, when you tinkle, please be neat, and wipe the seat". That also applies to baseboard heaters next to heaters. I personally try to nver install a heater next to a baseboard heater because of this phenomem.

If you replace it with Runtal, you will have the same problem.

Slant Fin makes a baseboard especially made for bathrooms. It is painted differently and made of s different material. But last I asked, my wholesaler told me that ALL their baseboard is this formulation.

If the baseboard is Slant Fin, Yiu could do what I often do. It is possible to carefully replace the baseboard cabinet without removing the fin tube element.

Most of the Runtal I ever tried to replace Slant-Fin with, required a lot more length in heater than the slant fin used.

This discussion has been closed.