Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flow check valve and swing check valve

heatingFun
heatingFun Member Posts: 84
what's the difference between the flow check valve and swing check valve?

I need a flow check valve for a separate zone but the Lowes guy told me I could use swing check valve for that purpose. Is that true?

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Is that true?

I think the guy working at Lowes is working there because he does not know enogh to be a heating and plumbing professional. A swing check valve might be enougb to prevent back flow in a multi-zone hydronic heating system, but it would do nothing to prevent ghost flow (forward flow, thermal convection flow). For that you need a real flow check valve.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    Lowes

I don't think I have had a conversation that started with "the guy from lowes said..."that ended well. As the previous poster mentioned they are not the same. Flow checks or "spring checks" provide a tight seal against ghosting and most inadvertent flows ,they can be mounted in any position. They have the disadvantage a fairly high resistance to flow. This can be a disadvantage in some mixing pump situations.

Swing checks should only be mounted horizontally and are prone to ghosting  in many applications. They have the advantage of comparatively low resistance.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.