Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

insulation

Options
cn30
cn30 Member Posts: 34
Is there any reason not to insulate the near-boiler piping on the outlet side--header and large pipes feeding the mains? It seems all the pictures people post of their boilers show bare pipe here. Mine's the same--currently the insulation starts on the mains, and I'm losing heat between the boiler and the mains.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Insuate everything you can reach.

It is very important to insulate the header and the mains feeders, if fact I would insulate all the steam carrying pipes I could reach and then all the return return piping. Use a minimum of 1" pipe insulation; it you can't afford pipe insulation use fiberglass bat insulation that is cut to size.

It makes everything work better and it saves fuel. A lot of the pictures were taken before insulation was done to show the piping more clearly.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • cn30
    cn30 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    thanks

I'll do that. As for insulating the dry returns (mine are except for a couple of feet), any chance of overheating the condensate? I have a tank and condensate feed pump, and it says best operation is with the water at 160 degrees and that the pump may not work well above 190. It doesn't say it will fail, though
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    No insulation on near boiler piping

Seems to me that you see pictures with no insulation on the near boiler piping is so that one can see the piping in the pictures -- they should be insulated.  Right down to the boiler -- everything that will see steam.

If your system is working properly -- particularly two pipe -- you shouldn't have a problem with hot condensate, simply because it shouldn't be above 180 anyway when it leaves the radiators, if the traps are working properly!  The restriction on the condensate feed pump is correct though: if the condensate is too hot, it is very likely that cavitation will occur in the eye of the pump impeller.  At best this reduces the pump efficiency; at worst, it will destroy the pump.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited February 2012
    Options
    I don't know

about the tank but all the rest should be insulated.  It sure makes the boiler quiet.  Less chance of a skin burn while working in the area around the boiler.  Not sure if you need this at all but here is a shortcut to my entire insulation file.  There is a bunch of how to suggestions, some internet suppliers, as well as some calculators that will tell you how much you can save.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/137178/Insulation
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yes, you should insulate

all exposed steam carrying pipes..we leave most near boiler piping uninsulated tho cause most of the houses used the heat from the large coal boiler to heat the basement..the new smaller gas oil boilers don't emit much heat, so the near boiler piping helps heat the basement..some customers don't want the heat in the basement, or are ultra energy concious..for those we do insulate.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.