Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Iron/Rust Removal

RobG
RobG Member Posts: 1,850
On domestic water, what have you all found to be the best system for iron removal? I'm in the Shenandoah Valley and myself and others have a problem with iron. I currently have an air injector on my water main (well water) and a cullig*** tank with media. It doesn't work for ***** . Any ideas on a better system? 

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Rob

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,121
    It's not easy...

to get dissolved iron out of water.  It takes four steps: conversion to the plus three form, precipitation, coagulation of the precipitate, and filtration.  The water chemistry at each step has to be controlled within rather narrow parameters, and the first, oxidation, step takes an oxidizer (commonly potassium permanganate, but there are others).

Most of the commercial iron removal systems -- such as the one you seem to be having difficulties with -- work pretty well; in fact, they are about the only thing that does that most homeowners can handle.  However -- and a big however -- they have to be maintained just so; adherence to the maintenance regime is not optional.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.