Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one room radiant...

Options
r. perry
r. perry Member Posts: 45
I'd like to install radiant heat in the 2nd floor bathroom to augment the steam heat.  I'm in the process of removing+replacing the ceiling in the kitchen directly below this bathroom.  I'll have easy and direct access to the underside of the mud-set tile floor (circa 1940) of the 2nd floor bathroom.  Would any kind of radiant heat system be practical here? 

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Electric or steam?

If you had the tile removed I would say electric mats. I do not know of an electric product that will install from below, but it may exist. You might try posting this in steam see  if those clever guys have a way to use the return water for hydronic infloor with aluminum plates
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • r. perry
    r. perry Member Posts: 45
    Options
    bath floor...

THANKS!! for your reply.  The floor tile is in pristine condition so I don't want to remove it.  I was hoping there was a way to install some sort of electric radiant on the underside of the 2 inch original cement mud base which will be exposed once I remove the ceiling of the kitchen below.  I don't think a hydronic radiant system would be practical for just this one room.  If the heat generated by electric heating coil would take too long to travel up through the mud base and tile is a big question, also.  I'm hoping someone familiar and experienced with radiant heat can give some advice.  I'm certain many other people have considered this but if it is practical to do it is the real question.
This discussion has been closed.