Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Frequent heater cycling

Options
I have a five zone staple up radiant heat system. The zone use 7/8" under the floor staple up pex. I used heating fins and a reflective barrier also. The heat source is propane using a Polaris 130K btu condensing hot water heater (45-50 gal). I use the side ports on the system (1") and an external heat exchanger. The inlet temp to the HE is 129 and the outlet is 116, (these are averages). My Polaris seems to kick on every 5-7 minutes. This seems to frequent. My cold water inlet has a spring check valve installed.The house heat load is 80,000BTU. The house is super insulated R-28 walls--R60 ceiling (SIP Construction). The manuf told me that the Polaris will start when a 2 degree temp change occurs.

Question #1..Is the Polaris cycling to Frequent?

#2--How do I make it cycle less often?

#3- Do I need more water storage?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    2 degree differential

It sound like you have plenty of mass. A 2 degree diff is very tight for radiant. as far as the floor goes you won't notice a 20 degree diff. If you are running an open system (arg) you will notice it on the dom hot water side . the solution to this would be to install a thermostatic mixing valve on the DHW outlet. and raise the boiler diff.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.