Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pilot light and gas supply?

Last week I noticed while I was near the boiler while it was firing that it sounded like it was pulsing.  A whoosh-quiet-whoosh- quiet where each might last a second or so (not as big a whoosh as when the boiler kicks on).  So Saturday morning we found the house cold  and the pilot light out.  At that point we replaced the thermocouple as I was having problems simply relighting it.  After adjusting the height on the new thermocouple it fired up but is still doing the whoosh-quiet thing.  The pilot had gone out again Saturday night but lit easily and has stayed lit since.

Any ideas why the boiler isn't the normal dull roar while it's firing?  Same thing causing pilot light to go out?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    pulsing burner

could there be another gas fired device on the same [perhaps undersized] line?--nbc
  • DomesticEngineer
    DomesticEngineer Member Posts: 18
    Two gas appliances

We have only the boiler and a gas water heater for gas appliances.  We've had the water heater since we moved in three years ago.  Seems unlikely there would now be a problem.  Also, it is doing the pulsing thing even if the water heater isn't firing.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    It sounds like you are not getting a smooth

light off on the call for heat. There are a number of things that can cause this. It is a safety issue for sure so I would suggest you have a professional take a look at it.
  • Rich_L
    Rich_L Member Posts: 81
    How's your weather?

If it's been windy and wet, then a quick temperature drop, I've had gas line regulators outside near the gas meter freeze up and cause this. Moisture gets inside the vent, blocking it or near or on the diaphragm and won't let the pressure regulate like it's supposed to causing a weak flame or everything to go out. A call to the gas company could determine if this is the problem and they don't charge for this in my area.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    right track

I have seen this exact same sympton, and it was caused by an iced up major regulator station that feeds the low pressure distribution in the neighborhood.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.