Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drain boiler or let it be

Options
Hi All-

I've got a new boiler that is running really well. After the install I decided to replace a copper steam pipe to one of my rads that the previous owner installed. I changed it over to black pipe but apparently was a bit to liberal with dope and oil as a result this stuff has entered the system and my site glass is brown, the lower section that is.

so - I hate to drain the new boiler - but should I? Is it harmful to wait a bit perhaps until spring after the heating season?

any thoughts would be appreciated.-

J

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,323
    Options
    The question really is...

is it surging?  Are you having wet steam problems?  If not, I'd let it be -- but then I always have been an if it ain't broke, don't fix it kiind of a guy.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    Don't be afraid...

Don't be afraid to drain a steam boiler to clean it.  But as Jamie said, don't bother unless you're having dirt problems. 

Corrosion problems come from continually adding water to a poorly designed steam boiler.  By continually, we mean consistently and perhaps daily.   Nothing wrong with cleaning a boiler that has dirty water in it.  Just don't do it 100 times a year.
  • FJL
    FJL Member Posts: 354
    Options
    Wet Steam Problems

Just curious to know what kinds of problems can be caused by wet steam.

Thanks.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Problems Caused by Wet Steam

What problems are caused by Wet Steam? Wow!- Well take you choice. Here are a few:

1.Noise

2.No pressure

3. Running out of water

4. Radiators not working

5. "Spitting" Radiator Vents

6. High fuel bills due to the inefficiency of wet steam

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that readily come to mind.

However, keep in mind there can be other causes for the problems above but eliminating the possibility of wet steam would be the high priority if you were troubleshooting.

-Rod
This discussion has been closed.