Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burner got wet

Options
TeachMeSteam
TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
I have a commercial steam boiler. Somebody took a water hose and completely hoses down the boiler and burner. Its dripping wet now. I am thinking it shouldn't make a difference but is it safe to start the boiler?

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    wet burners

I would suggest blowing out the burners and pilot assembly or you may get a supprise delayed ignition. I have cleaned many a boiler with a garden hose if there was a floor drain close. ( I always took the burners out though)
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,679
    Options
    If they also

managed to hose down the electrics -- particularly circuit boards or things like that -- make sure they are completely dry before you try to do anything.  Electricity and water don't mix very well...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

Anything that got wet needs to be replaced. I've seen equipment "dried out", then a week or a month later, it caught fire, exploded, or just stopped working. Don't take a chance.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Options
    Jstar

Only the electronics would need to be replaced - The burners are fine IF they are dried out.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

I might agree with you on the burners if they are stainless steel, but I've seen burner manifolds and black iron rot from the inside out after weeks of being "dry". And pilot orifices aren't very tolerant of debris.

Safety over sorrow. Always.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Jstar

I have been cleaning sooted up boilers with water for years ( 36 ) and have NEVER had a single isue. ( I have about 20 customers on well gas ) I always blow out the pilot and burners before I reinstall them. The pilot line should have aluminum tubing so there won't be any rust in that line.  Some manufacturers actually suggest cleaning the heat exchanger with water...
This discussion has been closed.