Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus vs Lennox Boiler

Options
re8
re8 Member Posts: 13
We are in the process of replacing a 35-year old oil-fired boiler with a new gas unit.

We have narrowed our options down to two quotes: one for a Lennox (direct-vented) GWB-9IH. The other is for a Buderus G124/5 which would be vented up the existing chimney (may require a liner). Once we take everything into account, the quotes are fairly close to each other. The Buderus is of course a bit less efficient, but is there any other reason to favor one over the other?

Also, both contractors seemed to steer us towards a standard gas-fired storage water heater, and away from an indirect water heater. They said that the indirect would involve a very long pay-back period.

We have been agonizing for too long over these little differences, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Long payback?

I am not sure about that advice.

A gas fired standard water heater has a 5 to max 10 year warranty, and believe me, they fail a lot. Most have lousy recovery capacity.

Almost every indirect I know of have a lifetime warranty, and will have a much better recovery, and lower standby loss then a standard water heater.

By the way, you might need a chimney liner if you use the direct vent boiler, and leave the dhwh on the existing chimney, as it may be too large for the dhwh to be able to keep warm on its own.

I would get a third quote.

In my opinion a Lennox boiler offering is a sign of a company that may not have much boiler experience.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,433
    Options
    In my humble opinion...

both options are very good units.  The real question is, which installer do you prefer?  The choice of installer, in my view, is considerably more important than the equipment; the best equipment in the world is no bargain if the installer isn't good.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Nothing More

That Lennox is nothing more then a Dunkirk in a different color. Best investment in my opinion in a cast iron boiler in my opinion would be a Burnham Series 3. Iron can handle 110 degree return water temp, is outdoor reset ready with the snap of a card and 84% efficient.

Did your installer perform a heat loss to size the boiler? Don't agree with him though on his thought process concerning the indirect. Why introduce another source using energy when you have a source, the boiler already capable of doing the job.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.