Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacement Boiler?

Options
Hello all! Received some not-so-fun news this morning from our boiler service company that we may need to replace one of our steam boilers. Here's a little background: We bought our home, a two-family, a little less than 2 years ago, so this is our second winter in the home. We have two steam boilers (one for each unit). Last winter we had minor issues with water loss with the tenant's steam system, but otherwise nothing major. Bought Dan's book "We Got Steam Heat" and have read it cover to cover twice (before each heating season just to get myself prepared!).  I blow-down the boiler weekly, refill water as needed, clean it up a bit, etc. Anyway, recently our tenant went to the basement and overfilled the boiler, even though I tell them not to mess with it. The boiler stopped working. I drained it, and it started working again, but now it has an unbelievably loud water hammering problem. The system has not had a water hammer problem before (at least while we've been in the house). I noticed, too, that the water in the gauge glass is pretty dirty (as opposed to our boiler, which has crystal clear water). I remember Dan's book mentioning that dirty water could cause water hammering.

Anyway, I called our boiler service people (we have both boilers serviced every year, by the way), and their responses/estimates have raised a few issues.  First, they said they would "clean" the boiler by flushing it (i.e., by repeatedly flushing the water out of the low water cut off until the water in the gauge was clear) and that should fix the dirty water issue. Does that sound right?

Second, they pulled out the burner in our tenants' boiler and said it is cracked. The boiler is a Utica model (not sure of the date, but can probably find it later). They said they probably cannot find a replacement burner for cheap, and it may be easier just to replace the entire boiler. That sounds fishy, but what do you think?

Lastly, coming to this website and reading Dan's books has been extremely helpful, but it also has made me paranoid. I don't want any knucklehead replacing my boiler and screwing up the whole system. I want someone who will measure the pipes and radiators, check the chimney, guarantee the system runs properly, etc. We're near Hartford, Connecticut. Anyone have any recommendations for a great contractor in this area? I'd like to speak with and get quotes from multiple contractors in the event this bad boy needs to be replaced.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Several thoughts...

of which the first is that if you are near Hartford, CT, and you want a top-level pro to come and look at your system, give Charles Garrity a call (find him under Find a Contractor; listed in Lee, Massachusetts, but Hartford would be no problem for him).  He's one of the best.

Second, overfilling can create hammer problems -- partly from grubby water (get Charles to assess that) and partly from water getting to where it shouldn't.  If it's the latter it may go away in time.

Can't comment on the burner problem -- Charles will be able to.  Give him a ring.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Get a Second Opinion

Hi- I agree with you that what you have been told has a slight "odor" about it.  Flushing the whole system through the LWCO is new one I hadn't heard before. It sounds as practical as brushing your teeth through your ear.

I also agree with Jamie, Charles Garrity is a top notch steam pro and suggest you contact him.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.