Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utica UB90 ignitor search...

Options
john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
need a new ignitor for my Utica UB90-175. Read a service bulletin on Utica website saying they changed to a new part number 550002068, from the p/n2272133(Norton 271R) that it came with. Shouldn't mine be replaced under warranty, even as it is 6yrs. old? Here's the weird thing, found a direct replacement for the Noton 271R on Amazon listed as a Rheem p/n 62-22669-92 which is amost 1/2 the price as the 550002068. I'm thinking just stay with what lasted 6yrs.(if warranty doesn't cover it) and buy an xtra one for what the 550002068 will cost me!? Also, when I search the internet with the 550002068 p/n it comes up as Carrier ignitor but a replacement for p/n 2272133, would assume this is ok...

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Ignitors

Most ignitors are not proprietary to the oem of the equipment. There are a few exceptions, but usually the same ignitor can be applied in multiple oem's equipment.

And, the reason it would come up saying carrier, rheem, or york, is because there are far more of those installed (and that is the ignitor used) then there are Utica boilers.

I would assume, they just changed ignitors for a cost saving (on there end) , rather then a defect.

If you can find the 271 r for less, buy it.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,628
    Options
    Be careful with

using different igniters as some at 17 second igniters and some 34 second igniters.The Norton 201 is a 34 second igniter the 271 is a 17 second igniter. Also it is not the igniter portion that is typically different but the ceramic mounting bracket. Use the wrong one and you may have igntion light off problems or if the igniter is being used as a sensor then microamp problems may arise.

If you got 6 years out of an igniter you are doing good and those are not warrantied

Are there any numbers on the igniter such as 271 or 201?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,628
    Options
    Further investigation

has revealed that old ignitor 2272133 had overheating problems and was replaced by new ignitor 550002068.
This discussion has been closed.