Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

*Can I use my boiler smoke pipe to create radiation??

MCarp
MCarp Member Posts: 8
Where can I find some sort of heat exchanger to attach to my oil fired boiler's smoke pipe? I have seen them in peoples' houses in the past on very old units.....wondering if they actually work to provide some sort of radiation??

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Can you... yes.

Should you ...prob not. These were called Economisers. They can pull too much heat out of the flue gas and effect draft.... as they do restrict flow. Gone unchecked they can plug the flue. If your boiler is older and has a high stack temp then a new boiler would prob. be your best bet.

Thats my take.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,121
    You might also...

consider your chimney or stack material -- if you somehow manage to get the stack gas below the  condensation point, unlined masonry chimneys and some metal stacks or liners may get very unhappy; condensing flue gas is mighty corrosive.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    I have one customer who

Refuses to remove this POS. It knocks 150 degrees off the stack temp. I can't believe the money he thinks he saves balances the extra price he pays to have his boiler cleaned. There' better ways to eke out some btu's.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Steve_152
    Steve_152 Member Posts: 26
    smoke pipe economizer

check  for  code issues..../    with some states, they are now   illegal.../... if you are in one  that   no longer allows tham,   there is  reason to remove it.
This discussion has been closed.