Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A. O. Smith or Weil-McClain gas burner?

Spacehog
Spacehog Member Posts: 1
Hello,

This is my 1st post here so I hope I'm in the right place.

I live in northern NJ and PSE&G gives 2 brand options for a replacement gas burner;

A. O. Smith or Weil-McLain.

I'm just wondering what the general opinion is of which is considered the better brand since I'm looking to replace the rusty old antique down there now. I did look through the search/help area but didn't find anything with regard to my specific situation.

Some back-round info:

- 1930 brick tudor style house - 2 floors

- 1 zone with all original cast iron radiators and piping

- I <em>think</em> the house originally had a steam boiler (given I see all the radiators).  I do

know though that now it's a gas burner down there.

PSE&G says they have a number of models but can't yet tell me over the phone which make and model the service guy would recommend since he has to come to the house first for sizing everything up and then making determination based on that and any other necessary to considerations.

Any other info I should provide?

Thanks for the help,

Spacehog

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited January 2012
    It would help to

know if you have steam, gravity hot water or forced hot water (circulator) all of these can have radiators on older systems.

Are you looking for 90% equipment or 80%, makes a difference if you have steam as there are no 90+ steam boilers.

Take some pictures of your existing boiler and controls that will help us to get you going in the right direction.

You should have a heat loss done on the dwelling as often the old systems were over-sized. Has insulation or new windows been added? You also want to have the radiation evaluated as to square feet of radiation.
This discussion has been closed.