Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco EBV

I installed Taco EBV ball valve type zone valves in a couple of jobs over the past couple of years. They worked great until this year. A good percentage of the valves are not closing all the way or are not opening on a call for heat. The electrical supply is solid and I even tried unplugging all the other zone valves on the systems that were not causing the problems....the only solution was replacing the heads! The valves move freely when the heads are not on so I don't think it is the valves themselves. Please tell me that the service life of these heads are more than 2 or 3 years!...thanks for any help or info you might have

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    I don't have any in service

myself so I can't really answer your question. I was on the verge of using them. Had my supplier ready to bring them in, then I heard through the grapevine that they were causing problems so I ditched them. I know they use a capacitor to close after power is cut to the valve. There should also be a capacitor that makes the motor start by giving it a jolt of juice. Not sure if they use the same one for both functions?

Do a UF test on the capacitors to make sure they match the proper ratings. Capacitors can also go dead with no activity for a long time. Sometimes they can be recharged by supplying the correct voltage directly to the capacitor for 3 seconds.
  • joseph annon
    joseph annon Member Posts: 53
    EBV

I have installed a lot of these and have found the best solution would be to update to latest version of their valve and problem solved. There seems to have been an issue with the capacitor retaining enough charge to close the valves. Sometimes cycling them will correct the problem for a few weeks.

Joe

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• mike in pa.
    mike in pa. Member Posts: 3
    Replace the heads?

Thanks for the response....Does the new style head fit the old style body?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    Yes they are

easily interchangeable.
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    So is Taco taking care of these issues?

Or are we (installers) going to have to eat them?

Thanks,

Rob Blair

BTW:  I really like them and the new version.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    The problem with

the ESP - EBV zone valves was quite a while back. I am not sure if there was a recall or replacement process. I would suggest you contact TACO as they are very good at handling any problems that may arise with their products.

Check the valves if they have a - 1 at the end of the number those had the problem if it is a - 2 those were the replacements.
This discussion has been closed.