Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Riser insulation between floors?

Options
Hi,

I'm a renter in a 1920's , (I'm told) apartment building in Cambridge, Massachusetts. We have steam risers in the corners of our first floor apartment that are insulated with fiberglass insulation. I've recently noticed that the area where the risers meet the ceiling in a number of rooms is fairly deteriorated. Although there are hinged covers/seals at the top of the pipes, they have long ago slipped down and are now resting on top of the fiberglass insulation. The bedroom pipe, for instance has an area approximately 1/4 inch wide that's open around it where it meets the ceiling.

Should I be concerned about old, toxic insulation on the the small length of pipe that is inside the ceiling before it emerges into the apartment above me? I can't see any insulation above the ceiling, but I know all of the basement piping was abated and redone long ago with fiberglass. For what it's worth, the risers that come up from the basement seem to be coming though metal sleeves.

I doubt the landlord would want to deal with abatement, but I could probably seal off those areas with foam or tape. I'd prefer not to to touch it unless I really have to. I'm not seeing any visible signs of falling material or plaster, but thought it was worth asking the question.

Thanks

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,560
    Options
    Depends a lot

on just how paranoid you are about air quality.  Myself, I'd not worry about it.  But then, I'm 70, and have lived all my life in assorted places where there might have been problems, and I ain't died of it yet. 
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • CluelessRenter
    CluelessRenter Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks Jamie...

I took a look at some of the risers at floor level and they all seem to be coming up through sheet metal flanges that are crimped and spread out at the top, (like a dovetail joint). Hopefully the same thing was done the floor above me....

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.