Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Gauge Concern.

Options
cunam
cunam Member Posts: 13
<span>

Hello!

I'm using Burnham steam gas boiler.My question is about the pressure gauge,because no matter how cold outside,the system running all the time but the pressure gauge won't move a bit,is it a problem?My boiler is 1 year old and the main control set at 2 psi and the DIFF is 0.75 psi.Thank you for your help.</span>

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,574
    Options
    That's normal

You have the required (by insurance, if not by code) 0 to30 psi gauge.  Those things are just about useless at normal residential steam pressures -- they just don't respond accurately, if at all, at 0 to 2 psi.

If you really want to know the pressure your system is operating at -- and it is probably in the range of a few ounces per square inch -- you need to add a 0 to 3 psi gauge.

And, incidentally, check what the pressure control is set at.  If it is the common "additive" pressuretrol, the cut in should be set a about 0.7 to 1 psi, and the differential at no more than 1; if it is the subtractive type, then the cutout should be set at about 1.5, and the differential at 1.  If it will go that low...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • cunam
    Options
    Thank You.

Thanks for your reply,just one more question please.How to know if the main steam vent working properly? Because I have two at the basement for around ten years already.Thanks.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,574
    Options
    Several ways to check a vent...

the simplest is when the boiler starts to make steam, feel at the opening on the vent -- you should feel air coming out (if not hear it).  It can be difficult to feel...  Second, if the steam reaches the end of the main fairly quickly -- a matter of a few minutes (I've sort of use a rule of thumb of about 1 minute for 15 feet of main -- but that's just a ballpark) the air is surely going somewhere... most likely out the vent!

And, of couse, when steam gets to the vent it should close -- no more air or steam.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • cunam
    Options
    You are the man.

I like you already.
This discussion has been closed.