Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

malfunctioning thermostat

Options
Vero
Vero Member Posts: 10
Hi, it was 15 degree Farenheit outside when I woke up this morning, and 49 degrees inside my house.

First I checked the water level, and it was fine. I've been out of heat before, and when I increased the water level, the furnace would start. Last year the plumber came and disconnected the autofeed when I was out of heat with a new furnace. He said it was the autofeed which had functioned just fine for the 13 years i lived in the house. He told me I was simply lucky. Now I have to constantly add water to the system. But that wasn't the problem this morning, but it will be a problem should I ever go on a winter vacation.

Anyway I turned the thermostat to the max, 90 degrees F, and the head kicked in. So I figure it's the thermostat. The plumber is supposed to come to look at it tomorrow. This is a fairly new thermostat, maybe 10 yrs old. What is likely to be the problem? the unit itself? or the connection going from the unit to the furnace? The furnace doesn't seem to be the problem; it is only about four years old. Do I call the plumber or the electrician?

I appreciate your insight.

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    thermostat?

Sounds like the thermostat.  Difficult to tell without actually being there to do some troubleshooting.

You say furnace and water level.  Do you mean boiler?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,426
    Options
    If you have to add water

constantly -- or even relatively often -- you have a leak somewhere.  Steam systems (and hydronics) are supposed to be closed; in theory there should be no water loss (there always is a little -- but anything over a gallon a month for a residential system should be cause for investigation, IMHO).

Your immediate problem could well be the thermostat; that's easy to check -- and fix.  But do look into that water use.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.