Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

relay issue att: tim mac & control experts

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
HONEYWELL RELAY R8222  Been experiencing more than a few nuisance no heat call with this relay being the culprit.  firstlly, why are they so unreliable. secondly could sopmeone define their exact purpose & if they are absolutely necessary for safe operation & can they be bypassed temporarily or permanently & safely. thanks gents.  bob young nyc

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited January 2012
    Options
    well im not tim mac or a control expert.......lol

I think it's a very reliable relay. What's the # after 8228? A, B, C, D, etc? Maybe you're using a C or D when you need an A or B.  What are you doing with it?  Describe the equipment attached.  Are you replacing the same one over and over again for failure?  If it's a nuisance, is it the right relay for the job? I'm sure it can't be bypassed, but you probably can use something else.  Fill in the blanks for us.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,629
    Options
    Is that the R8222 U?

If so it is designed to be a Universal replacement for any SPST or SPDT plug in relay. By the way any Steveco or White Rodgers plug in relay can replace it. If it is on a Boiler it would typically be used to bring on the circulator and the burner. The "W" terminal is not used and the thermostat is tied to the "R" and "G" terminals. The secondary 24 volts is "R" and "C".

If used on a warm air furnace it is labeled a Fan Control Center and "R" to "W" is for heating "R" to "G" & "Y" for cooling. Again "R" and "C" is 24 volts.

I am not aware of any problems with the R8222 it would help if you give a little more information as to what equipment it is on and other related controls.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Reliability

I find these relays to be among the most reliable, and as a bonus easily laid out for trouble shooting.

As far as bypassing for testing, I believe thats okay, if you know what the relay does, and supervise the operation.

As far as jumping out for good, every job is different, but I would assume that if the relay had no purpose, it would not have been installed.

Many times the true purpose of the relay is not immediately apparent.

As the relay can be wired and applied in literally thousands of ways, I can't really be more specific than that,

If you have a specific application that is troublesome, we could discuss that in better detail.
This discussion has been closed.