Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burners wont lite consistently

StephenO
StephenO Member Posts: 6
I have a Goodman furnance GMS80903BNAA in the attic. Turn on the heat it runs through its normal sequence but burners won't lite everytime. The ignitor lites,gas valve opens but ignitors won't lite. Checked gas pressure coming in and across the valve, pressures all fall within range. Sometimes the unit will run fine for several hours and then it will stop lighting. Any ideas thanks.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

Are you a homeowner or contractor?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    A little confusing as to what is happeneing

I have a Goodman furnace GMS80903BNAA in the attic. Turn on the heat it runs through its normal sequence but burners won't lite every time. ARE YOU SAYING THAT THEY DO NOT LIGHT AT ALL?

The ignitor lites,gas valve opens but ignitors won't lite. WHAT IGNITERS THE IGNITER IS WHAT LIGHTS THE BURNERS???? IF THE GAS VALVE OPENS AND NOTHING LIGHTS THEN RAW GAS IS POURING INTO THE CHAMBER , DO YOU SMELL GAS?

Checked gas pressure coming in and across the valve, pressures all fall within range. NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE PRESSURE ARE AND IF YOU HAVE POWER TO THE GAS VALVE WHEN ALL OF THIS IS HAPPENING. BE MORE SPECIFIC AS TO WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING.

Sometimes the unit will run fine for several hours and then it will stop lighting. Any ideas thanks.  
  • StephenO
    Sometimes they lite

The igniter glows, gas valve opens and gas flows for about 2 seconds then cuts out because burners don't light. Sometimes they will light and the furnance will run normal up to thermostat setting. This gas valve requires 5.0w.c. and I am getting 7.0 when trying to light and I'm getting the required voltage at the gas valve. 
  • StephenO
    Both

Both
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    RE

I'd suspect poor igniter placement or very dirty burners. Possibly blocked orifices.

Did you measure manifold gas pressure?
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    2 seconds?

5 inches is on the low side (bare minimum). What is it when the valve opens?

If gas pressure drops, then frozen regulator outside. If gas stays stable, then ditto on the dirty burners and poor ignitor location.
This discussion has been closed.