Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CPVC vs pex

Jack
Jack Member Posts: 1,047
Have any of you used the CPVC water piping for domestic? Turns out I have a 6.2ph on my well, which precludes the use of my preferred choice of copper for the re-pipe of the house. The house is an old place with galvie...whats left of it. I just ran a new underground water supply from the well as well as conduit for underground service. I'll be replacing the old bathrooms once I get the permitting in place (my delay at this point, not theirs).

I had pressure drop problems with pex in the old house and don't like the idea of oversizing the tubing to overcome the bushing effect of the pex fittings, especially on the hot side. I've never used the CPVC for water before, but it looks like this may be the best option at this point. Any experience with the CPVC? I will look into water treatment as well. With the exception of the ph, the water is excellent.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2011
    Low PH:

Install a whole house Cuno UN200 2 Cu. Ft. Neutralizing filter. No moving parts and it back washes as it runs. It uses reverse flow. Add calcite media when the level gets below 24" from the top. I have one in my house and put them in any house I can that has a low PH. I assume you are using Poly Pipe from the pump, well and to the house tank. They are very reasonable in price and have no electrical connections or drains. You set the flow rate through the filter with a bypass valve.

Look into it. You will be satisfied. I've used "regular" ones and the backwash water was always a problem. It ends the green hair in the women and if you start to see blue/green in the showers and bathtubs, it's time to check the media and add more.

It has worked for me and my customers who need them and will pay.

If you get the backwash kind, you must get rid of the backwash water. You run it on the ground or put it into your septic system. Overloading the septic system. It will also remove small amounts of iron (usually present). It will only add a small amount of hardness to the water.

This one:

http://www.aquapurefilters.com/store/product/200144.200133/apun201.html?gclid=CL-3n-zZia0CFcNo4AoddQEDmA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited December 2011
    corrosion-resistant piping

Aquatherm (thermally welded polypropylene) would be my first choice.  They offer solid polypropylene ball valves and their transition fittings are available in stainless.  Combine those and you have what is probably the most chemically inert piping system on the market.  You can even use it for methanol.

Cold expansion PEX has less restriction at the fittings, and when you combine that with the lower friction losses from using radiused bends and a PEX-outside-the-wall approach for outlets, you get very low restriction in the whole system.  I've seen measurable increases in flow when replacing copper. If you use EP fittings you get a corrosion-proof combo, though most transition fittings are made out of brass.  Uponor offers EP stops and valves with ceramic discs (no metal inside) that are quite inexpensive and work really well.  PEX risers from the angle stops are probably a good idea.

CPVC would be my last choice (solvent welds, can get brittle as it ages, explodes if frozen.)

Somewhere in the system you're bound to come in contact with brass or zinc (think fixtures) and that's where the pH will become an issue.
  • icesailor
    PH and Copper

And if you don't correct the PH of the water, anyone living in the house and using the water that uses any kind of hair coloring that is bleached based, will have green/blue hair. Most getting grey hair will use coloring. Women don't like green tints in their hair color. Ice cubes made in the refrigerator will taste like #$@&.

It's a lot cheaper to first fix the water and then do a re-pipe if you need one.

MY wife doesn't have green hair. I don't need coloring. I'm fine. So is she. But I get the word when the tub and shower floor is getting green/blue.

I'd rather sell you a filter system and you be happy than to sell you a re-pipe and have you not happy with the green/blue water and cruddy tasting water. Especially that first coffee in the morning.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,088
    Icesailor is absolutely right

(as usual): fix the water with a pH treatment unit -- the one he recommends is excellent and automatic.  Then think about the best piping.  The reason?  It's not just the copper pipe; there are other fittings -- often metal -- in the system which are not well served by acid water either.  Not to mention cooking... bathing... etc.

One property I used to care for had a native well pH of between 4.0 and 4.5, and it had one of those units.  Worked like a charm.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • icesailor
    wrong or right:

Jamie,

I'm not always/usually right.

I've lived my life/career with the thought that there is never enough time to do it right. But always time to do it over. Figuring out why it is wrong and correcting it, is part of me. And a debilitating problem with a fear of doing it wrong.

You seem to have the same characteristic as I. Keep it simple but don't be stupid.
  • Jack
    Thanks for the help guys

Water treatment is in the equation for sure, but also want an understanding of the options pipe wise. Much obliged!
  • Jack
    Thanks for the help guys

Looking over the 3M Cuno site there is much to digest in water treatment. They don't make it easy. As well, I'll be looking into the piping suggestions. Much obliged!
This discussion has been closed.