Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carlin GB3

Options
Photobobby
Photobobby Member Posts: 1
I have a weil mclain boiler that was oil and I replaced the burner with a Carlin GB3 burner. Every once in awhile I smell gas on the first floor in my house when it runs. I've leak checked all the gas lines and I'm thinking when it goes into purge it's filling chamber with gas and then igniting when hot surface igniter glows. Please give me your input. Thank you

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Please give me your input.

Turn it offf and get a gas pro in there right away.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Gas Smell:

Was this in Massachusetts? Was the chimney inspected and lined if necessary?

Do you have a fireplace on the first floor?

You have a problem. If you are a Professional, you need help with the problem. If you aren't, call a Professional that knows what they are looking at. You should not ever have a problem like this. If you didn't smell it with oil before the conversion, you shouldn't be smelling it now.

Tell me/us more about the conversion and what was done by whom.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Ignitor

You may want to check the ignitor. 

I've seen them start to fail and cause a partial opening of the gas valve where insufficient gas is emitted for ignition but enough for odor.  If you don't know how to test the ignitor, simply replace it.  Always good to have a spare.  
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Carlin G3B

if you are smelling gas it needs adjusted as many times this burner will if the air gate is out of adjustment get a gas smell. It is because of the close proximity of the orifice to the air intake. Get the original installer back or if it is you then you need to get your combustion analyzer hooked up to the system and check it. Do not fool with this if you do not know what you are doing. What is your location?
This discussion has been closed.