Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question for homeowners

2»

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
    Ironic

Ironic that Ms Dowd quotes Ed Schlossberg,who happens to be married to Caroline Kennedy,who does her share in providing grist for the mill
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Chris

I use my Ipad as a poor mans glass panel LOL. But looking at your Avatar you dont need it for that! That is a sweet looking cockpit. What type of aircraft is that?
  • NewtoHeatHelp
    NewtoHeatHelp Member Posts: 6
    I'll admit

I like technology. As a 30-something year old homeowner, I use technology in every avenue of my life, so if my heating pro whipped out something fancy, I'd be impressed.
  • MikeF
    MikeF Member Posts: 2
    A tool is a tool, it's how you wield it that matters

My grandfather was a cabinet maker and would do his final leveling with his eye, didn't trust the level to stay true... he could plane a board by hand, and cut one true, but he had the most amazing self-built table saw and the largest power table planer that I've ever seen... a good tool that he could trust made his work easier, he just didn't think it replaced his own perception and thought process.

A great tool is an incredible asset to your productivity, accuracy, and even artistry... so long as you don't forget who is doing the work, you or the tool, I think a tool in the hands of someone who knows how to wield it can aid a craftsman or tradesman in innumerable ways.

I can dig a great trench by hand, but if you hire me to dig a trench in an open field, you would be much happier with my estimate if I showed up with a trencher or backhoe.  I think those of us in the trades recognize the difference between someone who knows how and when to use the proper tool and someone who is flaunting their tools with the hope of making an impression.  
  • JohnHenry_2
    JohnHenry_2 Member Posts: 70
    "It isn't the wand, it's the magician that counts"

I don't care what kind of a car they drive up in. The fancy car may very well have been purchased with the savings from quitting smoking...

As for the spendy electronic tools, as long as they know how to use them, they save a lot of time and therefore money. Some of that savings might even come to me, the homeowner...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    that's interesting

your PhD son in law can't calculate the effect of hourly labor rates vs material investments?

presumably computer equipment can do things faster than pen and paper, right?

I find that attitude pretty short sighted. I've seen flooring guys with a laptop and a 360 degree laser scanner. They can measure a room to a degree of accuracy no meat monkey ever could in minutes.

I see that, and I think that's a company that knows when to invest in labor saving technology.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • NRT_Rob
    I could see this attitude

based on the car they drive or other such non-functional trappings. I don't necessarily agree.. if the price seems fair for the work quoted, how profitable it is to the company doesn't bug me at all... but I could understand.

but I do think it's silly to judge people by having what are essentially better tools. I presume he sees the value in spreadsheet technology....
    Rob Brown
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 286
    Hi Tech back when.

Regarding surveys with technology. Time moves forward and so should we. Many will be left behind. Thirty years ago I walked in with a sling psychrometer to diagnose a humidity problem. The elderly man took offense claiming I was trying to scam him with it. I was shocked he was so ignorant about this simple instrument. No words could change his mind. Happily he was the only one in my entire life I met. Yes you may find resistance to accept your fancy tools, but not enough to worry about. Speaking of which when you tell people your tool can cost up to $2-3K you are using, they begin to appreciate your value.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    I find this absolutely fascinating.

I find this absolutely fascinating.

Note that I have not yet read the whole thread.  But with little information it's hard to NOT form some opinion of your SIL and perhaps what you think of him and/or his position on the pad-n-pencil versus all high-tech.

Not knowing him and not ever meeting him,  but it sounds like some intellectual elitism.  "I know better than anyone  that NOBODY could possibly be using these complicated toys to MY benefit".   Short sighted.  But I suspect,  Dan,  that you already knew that.   :-)

That being said,  one could have all the high-tech tools in the world,  but if you don't know how to use them correctly you won't get the correct results.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Oh, he's delightful!

It's just this: He figures that he's paying for the bling and he doesn't want to pay for the bling. That's why he hires the pad-and-pen people. The bling people never get to find out why they didn't get his business. They'll probably imagine it's other things.

Which is why I brought it up here.

Thanks for playing!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Bling is not tools

There is "bling" and there is "high-tech tools".

The proper use of high tech can get a faster and more-precise solution.   An instant well informed more detailed quote is desirable.

Does your SIL use pencil and paper alone to process thousands of data points with 500 variables like in the old days?  Or does he use a computer?   :-)

The bottom line should be,   who is providing the best service with the best solution for a good price?
  • DanHolohan
    I'm with you, Phil.

Thing is, you'd never get a chance to make that argument.

That's what I'm trying to convey, but obviously not very well. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • NRT_Rob
    that's true

but I have to say, I think life is a lot easier when you don't work for people who use irrelevant criteria to determine their judgement of your work.

In other words, I am glad people with those attitudes filter themselves out of my life. They can be someone else's headache.
    Rob Brown
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Oh, we get it

Your message is conveyed!  :-)

The extra commentary is free bonus material! 

"Don't judge a book by its cover",   comes to mind.

Funny though,  (NOT ha ha) your SIL has no idea how many people he has marginalized and dismissed.  He just doesn't care that he sent away the best solution to his heating needs.

I do think it's probably a bad idea to show up to a potential customers job in a chauffeured Bentley,  wearing Armani 3 piece suit with diamond encrusted tool box.  LOL  :-)
  • DanHolohan
    Phil, you complete me.

Thanks for the hearty laugh. I can just see you in that Bentley! Wrenches in the trunk.
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.