Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help a sister in oil to gas conversion

bb55
bb55 Member Posts: 10
I know this is late in the year but I am in the process of converting from gas to oil. Estimate for the gas boiler is approx $6400. I would have to pay for a liner for my chimney at approx $2400. The cost of the oil tank removal is about $350 + the cost of a permit. Ballpark would be a total of about $10,000. Does this sound about right? Also if I have oil in the tank can I have it drained and donate the oil to someone in need?

Any thoughts, feedback would be appreciated. I just found out that I have to do this by 12/31/11 so that I can take advantage of the credits from Nat'l Grid.

I already have a gas line in the house (stove and dryer)

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    The general rule....

is not to discuss pricing. But as far as your house is concerned, there are just too many variables.  It depends on the complexity of the job, the materials, the boiler, and what's involved with the replacement.  The type of roof you have, and it's access to it, as well as the chimney construction determine the price of the liner.

I know you're under the gun, but why not get a few prices, And get someone to do a heat loss first, and discuss the different types of modern equipment & controls.  You're not doing yourself any favors if someone cuts the supply and return, and drops in the same size btu boiler.

Don't be afraid to call around.  If you're in the Philadelphia area (or equivalent), winter is off to a slow start and most companies are slow.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bb55
    gas conversion

Thanks! I just put ballpark figures to see if I was in the right range.

Just to clarify:

I'm in Boston, MA

In a row hose so I only have a front and back to the house since I'm in the middle

Access is by ladder from the outside

Chimney is brick, in the middle of the house, and does not have a clay liner. There are two flues. Does not need repair :). I was told a steel liner with a cap would do it.

Thanks for the point of just cutting out the old one and dropping in a new one, I didn't think of that.

Appreciate your input
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    conversion

I would also echo that a heat loss be done. The gas company does not care how efficiently their new system will operate. I would also discuss options on equipment. You are about to spend a lot of money, more than supplying your current equipment with oil for the year. I wouldn't rush into anything just to get aboard the tax credit train. It may derail for you if in haste the wrong system is installed. As mentioned, we don't talk pricing, but I am curious as to square footage of house
  • bb55
    Question

Thanks

Who does heat loss and what does it entail?

Also, approx 1800 sq total. 3 floors. The basement is basically street level. I use it for laundry, furnace room and storage. One small radiator down there
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    whoever

is bidding on, considering, or is awarded the job should do a heat loss to ensure that the boiler is sized just right. i would not let it happen without it
  • bb55
    thanks

I didn't know that. He did say that he based the unit on the square footage
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    sq. footage....

it a start but does not go far enough. Windows, insulation, doors,exposed walls... all need to go into the equation.
  • bb55
    I'm learning a lot!

I probably need to find a contractor that can answer all these questions. It seemed that he did not take very long when he was here. Just a quick in and out. At least the chimney person took the time to check out the access, went up on the roof, and sat with me to answer questions.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    It is also important

to find out what kind of boiler you are putting in. Is it a Modulating/Condensing boiler? If so do you have radiators, convectors or finned tube base board? Are they going to install outdoor reset? Does the installer also service the unit and do they understand how to troubleshoot these systems. Will they use a combustion analyzer to set the unit up? Depending on which unit you are putting in they need annual cleaning and service who will do that? National Grid does not do any of these things so the contractor you choose is critical. As already said a heat loss should be done which means a room by room determination as to loss through windows, how much insulation in walls and ceiling's etc all which account for what the output (not input) of the boiler should be.
  • bb55
    Wow

Don't know if my last post went through. My cat decided to walk across my keyboard.

I have finned tube baseboard. The top floor is all new but the first floor is VERY old.

What is an outdoor reset?

I was quoted a Burnham 205 NIL unit. Not sure if they service it or not.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Not sure if they service it or not.

If they tell you that gas furnaces or boilers do not need servicing, get someone else. My former contractor tried that on me and the same week tried to sell me a service contract (that was about half the price of the contractor I finally selected: the former contractor's price was way too low to be believed, and the figured on 15 minutes a year to service a mod-con boiler. That is one of the reasons they are my former contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Oil to gas conversion:

Geez, 10 grand will buy an awful lot of oil. It will also buy a lot of heat saving improvements which you plan to spend on a new boiler and heating system that won't save you any BTU's. If you have old drafty windows sucking heat out of the house, no insulation in the walls, and any uninsulated heating and hot water pipes in the house, you are just throwing good money after the bad that you already had.

But I'm in the minority, It's just how this old f%^& Scots-Irish,German thinks.

Unless your heating system was installed around the time that the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, I'd look at all the other options to save money. There are many.

• bb55
    rethinking

I'm beginning to rethink changing. The oil furnace is about 30 (?) years old.

More concerned with the oil tank. Don't know the age of it but I've been in this house for >40 years. It was here when we moved in.

Might be cheaper to replace the oil tank and do insulation and windows
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    oil to gas

is it hot water or steam system as others have said get a heat loss done if planning any renovations of heating system gas company deals are not always a good deal
  • bb55
    forced hot water

Is the system. Who does a heat loss check?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    The contractor

who is looking to do the installtion should do a complete heat loss other wise get rid of them. Tell National Grid you want a heat loss done and for them to find a contractor who knows how to do one for you. The problem is the possible oversizing or undersizing of the heting boiler.
  • bb55
    Learning a lot

Can't believe how much more there is to know. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will post my progress (or lack of). Thanks again
    04090 Member Posts: 142
    And one more thing

Since windows, insulation and other things have also come up, and you're in Massachusetts, look into getting a free energy audit from Mass Save.  That will also open the door to free seven year financing, reduced cost insulation and a lot of good suggestions from someone on your side.

And the gas companies promo is set to expire the end of this year, but historically there's always been incentives.  Last year it was worth more than this year, I'd venture to say with the economy as it is that the incentives will creep up again.

I suggest you take your time, and learn a lot about what your're getting into so you can make wise decisions.

You can also ask your oil company to check the integrity of your tank with their test equipment.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Why

put your money in a chimney? Install a 90% + system PVC out the wall . This puts money in a more eff. system and saves you money
  • bb55
    oil conversion

Good idea. I didn't know about Mass Save. I am going to take my time now that I've had such good feedback. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.