Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Stop Condensate Pump from Flooding the System

Hi,

For Steam Heating System I have a condensate pump.  This Condensate pump is controlled by a pump controller built in the boiler, which monitors the water level in the boiler and turn on/off the pump as needed.  Problem occurs when this pump controller malfunction and does not turn off the pump even though boiler have enough water.  This problem is flooding the steam system because pump is running for hours.  I need to have a backup to the pump controller, so when it malfunctions backup will turn the pump off. 

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,125
    A backup

isn't a bad idea -- but it worries me rather badly that the controller appears to be malfunctioning.  Another part of that controller is frequently the low water cutoff, and I would be very concerned that if one part of it is not working right, neither is the other -- and the low water cutoff is a mandatory safety device.

I'd replace that controller if you can't get it to behave.  Sooner rather than later.  A flooded boiler is a nuisance.  A dry fired boiler is a disaster.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.