Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermostat wire

Options
ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,806
This may be a cheesy question but can I use 18AWG copper 2 conductor stranded wire for my thermostat?  I know it calls for 18AWG but I always see solid wire on them and don't want to violate code.

Its 2 conductor non shielded in a single black jacket I think black and white colors if it matters.  I realize it will work fine, but will it be to code?  I will of course tin the ends to keep them from fraying.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,466
    Options
    Code may vary

from place to place.  Of considerably more interest, from a practical point of view, is the overall rating of the wire -- temperature, voltage.  Stranded or not stranded probably is not relevant -- but temperature and voltage ratings will be.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2011
    Options
    temp rating

rated for 105C looks like it has a UL listing as well type CL2R. 

I would think the voltage rating would be irrelevant as its for a 24V system.  I'm sure the wire is good for more than 100v.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    I do not know codes, but...

for things like wiring thermostats, I would think solid wire to be better than stranded, because it is too easy to let a strand get loose and short out an adjascent terminal. I know it can be done, but not if you are in a hurry.

Stranded wire seems more suited to something that needs to be moved frequently, such as a floor lamp, not something in a wall that moves only during earthquakes and demolitions.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2011
    Options
    T'stat wire

for regular thermostats ,like you have,can be either.As JDB said ,watch out for loose strands. So strip back the insulation and twist the strands a few times real good . I think the volt rating is 85v or 90v.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    strands

Appreciate the responses.

Like I said I'll be sure to tin the ends of the wires so there won't be any loose strands.  I want to use it because we have a huge spool of it where I work and the boss doesn't mind me taking 30 feet or so.
This discussion has been closed.