Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

please identify

Options
This is an interesting forum. I don't know if this is the correct place

to post this but can someone tell me what I have in these photos. It

is about 4 1/2 feet high x 4 feet wide x 7 feet deep. It is in the

building I just bought. I looked for information on US Radiator Corp

and found nothing.

Thanks,

Arnold

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,628
    Options
    It is an old

boiler that probably was used to heat the building. As it looks from your pictures it has not been used in a long time as a heating system. Is there some other means of heat in the building?

If you are thinking of restoring it I would say not the best idea. It would be best to go with a new system from scratch.

What kind of emitters do you have? radiators, convectors etc.
  • seabiscuit
    seabiscuit Member Posts: 4
    Options
    please identify

The boiler in the photos is not hooked up anymore and hasn't been used in many years.   I don't know what type of emitters or convectors but there are some tall radiators in the above floors. I don't know what types but will look for names. Someone said the red top may be significant to type of boiler?   
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Some pictures of

the radiators would help to identify if it was a steam system or hot water.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Steam

It's steam,the upper gauge glass cock is visible as well as the tapping for the missing lower cock. It's worth 16 cents/lb here
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tim McElwain
    Options
    Steam it is

just spotted the pig tail in the first picture.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Options
    My guess..

There's about 1600-2000lbs of cast iron there waiting to get recycled.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    RE

Save the gauge!
  • seabiscuit
    seabiscuit Member Posts: 4
    Options
    So,

So, it's cast iron that can go to the scrap yard.   Thanks for the i.d.  Is there any way to turn it into a wood stove?  or a blacksmithy's forge?  or something useful?  Thanks again
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Alternative use....

I have used these cast iron behemoths as a heating radiator before, and they work fantastic. Hook it up to the supply and returns, and install a non electric thermostatic radiator control valve to it, and let the 500 pound radiant gorilla in the corner heat your basement. Clean it up, fix it up, spit polish it, hand paint the raised letters, and even throw an electric light bulb that looks like a flickering flame into the fire box for effect, and it makes a GREAT conversation piece.

If you intend to recycle it through a metal recycler, be prepared to spend at least one day on the end of a sledge hammer, and another carting the pieces out of your house and into the yard, then into the truck.

Re-use is better than recycle...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.