Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Timer Control Question

Options
I am hoping someone can help me. I have an American Steam Timer. The model is a Steam Miser.

In order to calibrate the outdoor sensor, the temperature needs to be set to 55 degrees. And, then the calibration screw needs to be turned clockwise and counterclockwise until the boiler turns on and off.

This doesn't make sense to me. If the temperature is set to 55 but the outdoor temp is 70 degrees, wouldn't the outdoor sensor now think it's 55 when it's really 70 degrees? Wouldn't it make more sense to set the temperature to what's the outdoor temperature is? And, then, adjust the calibration screw?

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Outdoor Reset Steam Miser

I am assuming you are working on the outdoor reset feature?  The Steam Miser doesn't care if its 70 F outside.  The thermostat is all-ready preventing the boiler from starting. 

The feature you are working on, is for the swing season, usually spring and fall.  You know, nice spring day, somebody opens all the windows, starts spring cleaning, BAM boiler comes on and makes the house even hotter.

When you set the outdoor reset to 55 F, what you are telling Steam Miser is, If the outdoor temp is 55 F or above, Don't allow the boiler to start.  If you set it to 70 F, the boiler will not start if the house temp drops to 68 F.  Steam Miser all-ready knows what the inside temp is, it has the thermostat and/or the inside sensor.
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Clairification

Not sure if it's called the reset feature. It's the calibration for the outdoor sensor. If the outdoor temp control is say 50 degree and the outdoor temp is at 52 degree, the timer will not allow the boiler to turn on on the hour. If the outdoor temp is 48 degrees, then the timer will allow the boiler to turn on.

But, my problem is how to calibrate this outdoor temp control. The instructions state that I need to put the outdoor temp control to 55 degrees. And, then turn the calibration screw back and forth until the boiler turns on and off.

But, wouldn't this calibrate the outdoor sensor to be 55 degrees when it's really say 48 degrees (whichever the outside teperature really is?)
  • TeachMeSteam
    TeachMeSteam Member Posts: 128
    Options
    Clairification

Not sure if it's called the reset feature. It's the calibration for the outdoor sensor. If the outdoor temp control is say 50 degree and the outdoor temp is at 52 degree, the timer will not allow the boiler to turn on on the hour. If the outdoor temp is 48 degrees, then the timer will allow the boiler to turn on.

But, my problem is how to calibrate this outdoor temp control. The instructions state that I need to put the outdoor temp control to 55 degrees. And, then turn the calibration screw back and forth until the boiler turns on and off.

But, wouldn't this calibrate the outdoor sensor to be 55 degrees when it's really say 48 degrees (whichever the outside teperature really is?)
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Just a hunch

I would install the outdoor sensor in the correct place, (there is a whole bunch of warnings) and wait for the correct temp to be there naturally.  Not sure what the pro's would do, I know one thing they wouldn't be sitting around in our back yards waiting for 50 to arrive :)
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Calibration

I saw your question first in the main wall section and answered it more fully there: 

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/138421/Steam-Timer-Question

Crash is right that a professional heating contractor would never wait until a 55 degree day came along to calibrate the timer. Thats why the manufacturer provided the calibrate switch to simulate 55F outdoor temperature so the unit could be calibrated regardless of what the actual outdoor temperature was at the time.
This discussion has been closed.