Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Floor Boiler Question

Options
Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a Triangle Tube PE 110 (LP) boiler to combine with Radiant floor heat in climate panels over the sub floor for 1200 sq feet new construction.

My plumber (failry new to radiant floor) mentioned that having the indirect water heater in the unit would make the boiler cycle on and off constantly?  His thought was that this would bring down the overall efficiency of a system and that I would burn through propane at a quick pace.

Is this an efficient device to combine with the Radiant floor?

I will also utilize the system in the future for hydro air for a second floor

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Ryan

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Don't Know Where He Got That Idea

I don't think he understands mod/con boilers either. Get him to come here for a while and he'll get a good education in hydronics. Some of the best and most experienced minds in the business lurk here and love sharing their knowledge.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • tflash09
    tflash09 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Radiant/Hydro

Thanks Bob,

Do you forsee any issues with running the Radiant Floor and hyrdo (second call for first floor) together off of that triangle tube?  I believe they may run at different temps?

Thanks,

Ryan
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Multiple Temps

Irons right concerning the indirect. The indirect would be piped on the boiler side of his primary secondary piping and will have minimal effect if any concerning the efficiency.

However, you would need to run two heating curves or heating circuits. The hydro would require a much higher water temp then the radiant. You would have to have the boiler reset curve set up for the hydro and then use a, Taco I-Valve, some type of injection mixing or and I hate to say it, thermostatic mixing valve for the radiant.

You would set the boilers heating curve based off your heat loss and the water temperature that the air handler would require to heat the space at outdoor design temps. You will mostl likely be able to have your max water temp at 160 degrees.

What your installer didn't tell you is that the air handler is really the culprit that will effect your efficiency . What is the heat loss for the a/h zone? What size a/h is it?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • tflash09
    tflash09 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Air handler and heat loss

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.   The proposed A/H is 30HBXB-HW-TXV410 w/R410.

This is a modular that has yet to arrive, but the heat loss is 42k btu's

Thanks for the help,

Ryan
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Will Put

Out just abot 59'000 btus with 180 degree water. Like I said you will most likely be able to set a boiler curve to provide 160 degree water at outdoor design temp. Must be an awfully large zone to have a heat loss of 42k. My house is 1,800 sqft and has a total heat loss less then that zone.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.